Ways to stake tomatoes?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't give up on 5 gallon buckets if that's what you have access to. I've seen lots of websites where people are successful. I think the trick is a really good soil mix and probably watering pretty frequently.

My raised beds are only 12 inches...but I'm sure the tomatoes root deeper than that. You could try 'em both and see which one works best for your situation. I'm doing that this year...I've got some magnificent tomatoes in tubs - and some crappy ones in the ground, lol!
I just think it's exciting that you're gonna get a hoophouse/greenhouse for your tomatoes!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well and other things too, but I mostly care about the tomatoes! I have a million five gallon buckets. I only need like 6-10 tomato plants if they do really well. Like 6 paste and the rest eating. I just made that up, I have no idea how many plants I need but that sounds about right lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well and other things too, but I mostly care about the tomatoes!
Yea - other things are okay, lol! But tomatoes are KING/QUEEN? of the garden! I will be so PO'd if something interferes with my tomatoes this year.... They look so good....so far. :fl

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I do have some cherry tomatoes started. We'll see how I do this year! I have crummy soil, so raised beds or containers may help while I work on that!