We are no longer getting Dairy Goats.....

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yeah I know after talking about getting goats for almost two years, and finally suceeding its not happening no more. I know you'd think I'd be sad or mad or whatever but Im really not because we are going to get a milk cow. :D

Sure you may say we are crazy but I figured it up and its really not that bad cost wise. Its close to being equal....

I went through my Backyard Homestead Animal Book and got the pounds/amount of feed each individual animal needs.

Goats need about 5 pounds of hay a piece without pasture. A cow needs around 15 pounds of hay. This is per day. So say I have two goats thats 10 pounds of hay then 15 pounds for the cow. I figured up the highest I have seen alfalfa hay for a 100 lb bale which is 15 $. Figured up the amount per week then a year. The cost ended up being 819 $ a year for a cow, then 546 $ for a goat. Mind this is the most cost I have seen it. Then for feed I just put around 15$ for a fifty pound bag for both animals. The end cost for two goats would be 436$ and a cow would be 491 $ a year.

Hay and feed combined would be 982 for goats and 1310 for a cow. Thats a 328$ difference not that much. Considering with the extra milk that is produced, I could use it as a base for chicken feed thus eliminating that 300$ a year for chicken feed. Which brings it to around 1000$ a year in feed bills.

But thats not the only reason we are going the cow route.....

1. As far as dairy products go we use more milk, butter, and buttermilk than anything else. Products that goat milk cant pull off as easily. We dont use cheese that much....so for the animals purpose it makes more sense.

2. Our local veterinanrians know a lot more about cattle than goats. My Dad is not a vet but an experienced cow owners and my family as a whole know more about cattle.

3. The breeding of the cow can be handled easier than that of a goat, I look at a Black Angus bull everyday across the road. Whereas with goats I dont know anyone with a buck or does of any breed.

4. The calf be used/sold easier. We can raise the calf for beef or sale the calf easier. With goats I dont need 3 to 5 baby goats that are much more difficult to get rid of.

5. Cattle can handle the extremes better and are more hardy with parasites and I wouldnt have to worry about CAE.

So I guess its a Cow...... :D

Also, the equipment is easier to come by here.....

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Yeah I know after talking about getting goats for almost two years, and finally suceeding its not happening no more. I know you'd think I'd be sad or mad or whatever but Im really not because we are going to get a milk cow. :D

Sure you may say we are crazy but I figured it up and its really not that bad cost wise. Its close to being equal....

I went through my Backyard Homestead Animal Book and got the pounds/amount of feed each individual animal needs.

Goats need about 5 pounds of hay a piece without pasture. A cow needs around 15 pounds of hay. This is per day. So say I have two goats thats 10 pounds of hay then 15 pounds for the cow. I figured up the highest I have seen alfalfa hay for a 100 lb bale which is 15 $. Figured up the amount per week then a year. The cost ended up being 819 $ a year for a cow, then 546 $ for a goat. Mind this is the most cost I have seen it. Then for feed I just put around 15$ for a fifty pound bag for both animals. The end cost for two goats would be 436$ and a cow would be 491 $ a year.

Hay and feed combined would be 982 for goats and 1310 for a cow. Thats a 328$ difference not that much. Considering with the extra milk that is produced, I could use it as a base for chicken feed thus eliminating that 300$ a year for chicken feed. Which brings it to around 1000$ a year in feed bills.

But thats not the only reason we are going the cow route.....

1. As far as dairy products go we use more milk, butter, and buttermilk than anything else. Products that goat milk cant pull off as easily. We dont use cheese that much....so for the animals purpose it makes more sense.

2. Our local veterinanrians know a lot more about cattle than goats. My Dad is not a vet but an experienced cow owners and my family as a whole know more about cattle.

3. The breeding of the cow can be handled easier than that of a goat, I look at a Black Angus bull everyday across the road. Whereas with goats I dont know anyone with a buck or does of any breed.

4. The calf be used/sold easier. We can raise the calf for beef or sale the calf easier. With goats I dont need 3 to 5 baby goats that are much more difficult to get rid of.

5. Cattle can handle the extremes better and are more hardy with parasites and I wouldnt have to worry about CAE.

So I guess its a Cow...... :D

Also, the equipment is easier to come by here.....
:celebrate

Now if we could just get a gallon or two of raw milk to my place..... :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I can see you have done your homework and agree. :thumbsup

To be honest, I was never much of a goat fan, but I try to keep an open mind. The bucks stink. Goats are escape artists, too. Easier to milk and handle, yes, but then again, I don't have much experience with them.

Dairy cows, now I'm there. :)

Are you going to start with a heifer, or get a cow that is already producing? I raised two heifers from birth on my grandparents farm when I was in middle school. They were like puppies and were so easy to milk - they preferred me over my dad.

What milking breeds does your area favor?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Definitely a cow in milk, if we had pasture access I would say yeah lets do a heifer.

Our area favors Jerseys. Its smaller and gentler too. Im thinking either a Jersey or Jersey/Guernsey cross. Im more familiar with cows, not goats. I was thinking goats because of cost but its not to much different.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a family of four - he has a Dexter cow and is very happy with it. He just butchered her bull calf from last year and he thought it was the perfect size for them.

Something to look into?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I can ponder breeds. Im not gonna be all gung hole for one breed if I can get a combination that would be good too. My Dad thought a cow would be better for us. We are a family of five that live on the Homestead.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
How soon would all this happen (decisions needed to be made?)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Late Spring/Early Summer..... :D

I need to figure the barn back up and adjust the place it will be. We already have somebody lined up to build it. We are very familiar with cows rather than goats not to much is needed to be changed. A Jersey cow is the best option I believe because of size and temperment.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can I just say :weee

Love my Jersey/Angus cross, she is my sweetie! She is also micro-mini, so feed costs are 1/3 that of a full size cow. We are planning to get her a micro-mini Angus boyfriend come Spring - 2 for less than the price of one full size for feed - woohoo! Any calves with be sold or put in the freezer. Shopped for one in milk, but ended up with a heifer, but really :love her!

Not that I don't love goats, I do. I grew up with cattle, LOVE butter and cheese, and feel most comfortable working with them.