We are no longer getting Dairy Goats.....

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks!! It is exciting! Im like this better than getting goats, and that makes sense for a pregnant cow. But 30 lbs. and 5 lbs of grain sounds better. Although I may opt out for 25 lbs of hay and 7 lbs of grain. Either way I will get it worked out. She will be worth it. I will keep everyone posted as we get her barn and lot built in the Spring and when we get the cow. I think we should get a Cow bred, thats due within the month that we get her. I think I'd rather Jersey/Guernsey rather than pure bred. Because hybrid vigor and maybe enchance milking....

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am hoping to get a milk cow - eventually. I'd love to have a Belted Galloway for milk - and I'd name her Oreo....Or a Jersey or Brown Swiss...

But, for now, I'm settling for a milk goat. :p

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Either way you go there are up sides and down sides. In the end only you can determine what works best for your situation.

We dairy both here and both present their own challenges and rewards.

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Yeah I know after talking about getting goats for almost two years, and finally suceeding its not happening no more. I know you'd think I'd be sad or mad or whatever but Im really not because we are going to get a milk cow. :D.
Well (deep subject, huh) from reading your post you've got your act together. What else is there to say about it except buena suerte! :thumbsup

We are looking into having both (I want goats milk for our soaps), but you make a compelling argument. Darn it, I wish dairy cows were the same price as goats :barnie. Our finances make it so Zoe (I've already named our cow) won't be joining Hip Hillbilly Farm for a couple years at this point (miracles do still happen, right?).

I'm excited for you guys.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yeah I think its a better choice......goats here are aqbout 200 a piece and cows are about 600 to 800. We planned to start with 2 goats and maybe add another but we can get a cow for the same price as three goats. Plus we have more uses for a cow and her products...........

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Just discovered that we have an electric butter churn and electric ice cream maker.................let the dairying begin :D

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
see i think to each their own...
personaly im planning for both LOL.

i was origionally planning a herd of about 6 dairy goats, nubinas and lamanchas ideally...
now however im planning 3 full sized dairy goats and a Dexter cow.

i drink enough milk to justify the extra and i LOVE LOVE LOVE dexter beef so id keep any bull calfs back and given their size despite some extra feed id have enough overall space to grow out a dexter to meat size.

the goats milk will go to cheese and soap and yogurt, the dexter milk will go to drinking, yogurt and butter.
(i eat alot of yogurt lol)

whey and extra milk will go to the planned pig and the chickens :)