We are no longer getting Dairy Goats.....

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hope you have very good grazing or your figures for a cow are way too low. Average dairy cow will consume 4% of their body weight in dry matter daily.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
This was based off information found in the Backyard Homestead Animal Edition. It said 3 pounds of hay per 100 pounds of body weight. Then 1.5 pounds of grain/feed per 100 pound of body weight as well for hay substitution. That was also in the Mother Earth News article about Family Cows........but Im sure there are adjustments to be made to the figure and we will figure them out as we go.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cow is more versitle than a goat anyday. plus even if you keep her til older, you have good meat on the hoof. well, great for beef stew! :)

you will put good money into her, but you will get WONDERful products out of that Jersey!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
We were thinking of goats and changed our minds also. We will be looking for a Dexter and there is someone in the area who breeds them. Thanks for all the info!!!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I LOVED my jersey. She was a big pet, but she was just about as bad as a goat as for escaping or figuring out how to go up steps across an old wood floor that swayed down with her on it and open the feed room door! Or go hunting for the nearest bull which was a couple of miles away. She taught me that cows are much smarter than I ever thought, and she had the biggest heart and treated me like her calf. She would lick me when I milked. Nice slimy grainy cow kisses! She also had a stubborn streak a mile wide when she decided she was NOT going to do something!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sure it will end up being a little more each year but the return will be greater......

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Jamester, if I had the space requirements, I'd have cows instead of goats too. I think you're making a good decision :thumbsup

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ive also decided against milk goats in favor of a cow. I wasnt real keen on getting a stinky buck. Im going to look into mini zebu when we get our farm up and running. I have someone about 40 miles from here that breed them.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Jamester, if I had the space requirements, I'd have cows instead of goats too. I think you're making a good decision :thumbsup
We dont necessarily have the "pasture" for either animal. But we know we want our own milk and the cost can be re made with a cow rather than a goat. Beef or a calf to sale which could buy the hay. AND butter I must have butter. Im pretty sure we are making a better choice.....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Barred

if you have a local farmer who makes hay.......set up a barter. Your work throwing hay bales stacking etc. for free hay.

When we bale, honestly, it kills us. We always cried for help. It is hard work to produce alot of hay, I know :p

So truly, being a hay farm hand for a few short days could pay off in alot of hay for you for your time.....just to think about! :)