We got bad news today.....

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My husband turned 50 in August. He has been anxious to have that big test that everyone needs to have once they turn 50, a colonoscopy - yea, I know, not a nice subject, but his brother had polyps removed in his mid-40's and Greg really wanted to be sure he didn't have any. Well, he did, and one was very large. The doctor told him yesterday, after the procedure, that pathology had to give a report, but you could tell by his words that he already knew. It's called Adenocarcinoma, and it is the most common form of colon cancer. It forms from polyps. The doctor told Greg he was very lucky, he feels it's contained within that polyp and hasn't spread yet, however, to be certain, they're going to go in and do a bowel resection, remove that portion and reattach everything. No bag (at least so far, and the doctor doesn't think it will be necessary).

This is particularly awful for me because my father died of colon cancer in 1997 at the age of 65. The difference is Greg has found it extremely early; if he'd waited another year he would have had a fight on his hands. They had said back when my father got sick that if he'd gone for the colonoscopy the doctor wanted him to go for he would have had a full recovery, too, with no bag or anything. Unfortunately my father was a stubborn (yet wonderful!) man who lived to work. Well, that attitude killed him. :(

Do yourselves a favor. Go have this test. I've had two now, and will have to have one every five years for the rest of my life, as I had polyps removed from the same area where my father had them. Mine hadn't gone bad, yet, thankfully. And I am also thankful Greg was so adamant about getting tested. Hopefully the doctor is right, and when they go in they just take out what they need to and it's over. I love him so much and can't imagine going on without him!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow. So glad it was caught early! Still, how scary for you and your husband.
I hope he does ok with his surgery and all is well!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear this! I can imagine that it would be scary, but it sounds like really good timing for him to get his colonoscopy. My very best wishes and thoughts with you until this is all resolved--me&thegals

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ohh goodness! I hope surgery goes well and he has a speedy recovery.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am glad they caught it early! Prayers being sent for you and your husband!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Reinbeau, at least they caught it early. I will keep you & your dh in my prayers. Keep positive thoughts.:hugs

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So sorry for the troubles reinbeau. Hope Greg will be fine.

My father in law just finished getting over colon cancer. No bag or anything. Nowadays if you catch this early the results are great for recovery.

He followed the same path as Greg might be following. Discovery, surgery, follow up visits and now they say he is fine.

So hang in there. Long road but a road to recovery since caught early like FIL!!!!
Prayers with him!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
My DH's name is Greg also, so reading your post seemed to strike a more personal note, as if I might be typing the same thing one day. I will ensure mine does the same as yours, and gets his tests done! He turned 40 this year, so I'm going to really start the pushing.

You both are in our thoughts for a speedy and healthy recovery! :bouquet

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Ann, my thoughts and prayers are with you an Greg. Early detection is the best treatment. Keep us updated on his progress. I know you will be devoting alot of time to him, so take extra care of yourself, too. :hugs