We got bad news today.....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
My husband turned 50 in August. He has been anxious to have that big test that everyone needs to have once they turn 50, a colonoscopy - yea, I know, not a nice subject, but his brother had polyps removed in his mid-40's and Greg really wanted to be sure he didn't have any. Well, he did, and one was very large. The doctor told him yesterday, after the procedure, that pathology had to give a report, but you could tell by his words that he already knew. It's called Adenocarcinoma, and it is the most common form of colon cancer. It forms from polyps. The doctor told Greg he was very lucky, he feels it's contained within that polyp and hasn't spread yet, however, to be certain, they're going to go in and do a bowel resection, remove that portion and reattach everything. No bag (at least so far, and the doctor doesn't think it will be necessary).

This is particularly awful for me because my father died of colon cancer in 1997 at the age of 65. The difference is Greg has found it extremely early; if he'd waited another year he would have had a fight on his hands. They had said back when my father got sick that if he'd gone for the colonoscopy the doctor wanted him to go for he would have had a full recovery, too, with no bag or anything. Unfortunately my father was a stubborn (yet wonderful!) man who lived to work. Well, that attitude killed him. :(

Do yourselves a favor. Go have this test. I've had two now, and will have to have one every five years for the rest of my life, as I had polyps removed from the same area where my father had them. Mine hadn't gone bad, yet, thankfully. And I am also thankful Greg was so adamant about getting tested. Hopefully the doctor is right, and when they go in they just take out what they need to and it's over. I love him so much and can't imagine going on without him!
So sorry, Ann! :( Will he have to take any treatments after the surgery?....Hoping that he doesn't and that you will have your man for your lifetime, rocking on the porch beside you. :fl :bouquet

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
It was so good that he got that done- it's ayucky procedure but no where near as yucky as can be the results of not doing it.
I look forward to your posting that all went well with his sugery and you have no more worries.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
So sorry, Ann! :( Will he have to take any treatments after the surgery?....Hoping that he doesn't and that you will have your man for your lifetime, rocking on the porch beside you. :fl :bouquet
Oh, Jules, you've nailed it - and brought tears to my eyes. I want him to last forever!

To all of you, thank you for your support. We're going to the surgeon tomorrow at noon and I'll know more then. I will say, however, the gastroenterologist who did the colonoscopy is my whole family's doctor, he took care of Dad (and had the unhappy job of dealing with a guy who he could have saved if he'd only listened) and he's had each one of us now, me twice, so I know and respect him, tell me that he doesn't think there will need to be any treatments afterwards, it's that early, so hopefully he's right, they can take it out and be done with it. That's the outcome we are focusing on.

Again, thanx to you all, and I'll update when I know more.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ann, best of luck to your sweet hubby. I will keep him in my prayers and hope for a clean and speedy recovery!
Please do keep us all posted.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:hugs Praying for a completely speedy recovery for your Greg, and praying for your family also. :love

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
So sorry for the bad news but delighted with the early diagnosis. Will keep you and your husband in my prayers. Tell Greg there is a lot of people thinking and praying for him.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
he doesn't think there will need to be any treatments afterwards, it's that early, so hopefully he's right, they can take it out and be done with it.

*******Ann that is the best start to this medical problem! Thank goodness for the early detection! :)

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, early detection is the key, but now we have to see how early it was. I've just come back from the surgical consultation. First off we both like the doctor. He's young and enthusiastic, but as he said, they do have to remove the section, and also the surrounding lymph nodes and blood vessels to test them and make sure nothing has progressed. He's confident it is early, but as he said, things aren't always fair, he's seen large tumors removed with nothing further to do, and small ones, like Greg's, that have spread. Hopefully.....there's no smiley for fingers crossed, but that's what I'm doing right now!

He'll have the surgery within the next two weeks.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I know this has to be heart wrenching and frightening for all of you.
Please keep us posted. Stay optimistic. I am a firm beleiver in positive thinking. So along with you I am thinking positive. Fingers crossed, and prayers being sent your way.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Ugh, well you know how I feel about you and Greg and remember to take us up on our offers to help out around your place. Let us take even the small burdens off your hands, besides it might be good for the guys to work together doing guy stuff.
Warm thoughts and Prayers your way.

:hugs Natalie