We have Goats

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
:woot Yesterday we bought an Alpine doe and doeling at auction. They are superb! Very, very friendly and gentle doe. During the auction the guy had mispronunciation, and said it was a little buckling. The doeling can't take all of the milk so I have to start milking this morning. Pray for me. I am sterilizing equipment now, and plan to go out when it is light. I have a stand fixed in the shed, but I will have to tether her once she is up there and fashion a goat hobble together. I'd like it to be a more enjoyable experience, I wasn't planning on starting right away but she was a steal. The auction had several groups of them tonight. Apparently someone decided to sell all of his last night. We got her and baby for a considerably low price.

The milk tote and strainer are sterilizing in Clorox water right now. I will have to find a tote to put the bucket in, and gather up my other supplies. I am sure it will be interesting.

I will have pictures sometime today.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Okay it wasn't to bad! One side is not milking but is healthy, the other has milk and was easy to do. She was contrary at first but settled down. Now I must fix it to keep the doeling in sight but can't suck. I may have gotten 1/2 pint. But no foot in the milk bucket or tears! :woot

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Okay I lied 4 ounces with a yellowish tint. :p Still a long way to go. I didn't keep the kid separate last night either. I will have to do that

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Congratulations buff!!! I want pics! :p

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats! I love my goats- I will be milking next year.

That is how I got my nanny kids so cheap, they brought in a batch of 30. The amish farmer had 75-80% females this year, and didn't have room for them all.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well fence round 1 was a disaster. :/ Led them in there, and immediately she put her nose to a hot wire and it lit her up. So much so she ran through the fence.....then while catching the doe the baby got hung in the fence. It wasn't on though. I had to put them up though and couldn't experiment anymore. Hopefully this will work :fl I will be able to once another adult gets home. Mom had a hair appointment. So soon I will be able to see if it works...

I hope they both learned their lesson.

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
:woot Yesterday we bought an Alpine doe and doeling at auction. They are superb! Very, very friendly and gentle doe. During the auction the guy had mispronunciation, and said it was a little buckling. The doeling can't take all of the milk so I have to start milking this morning. Pray for me. I am sterilizing equipment now, and plan to go out when it is light. I have a stand fixed in the shed, but I will have to tether her once she is up there and fashion a goat hobble together. I'd like it to be a more enjoyable experience, I wasn't planning on starting right away but she was a steal. The auction had several groups of them tonight. Apparently someone decided to sell all of his last night. We got her and baby for a considerably low price.

The milk tote and strainer are sterilizing in Clorox water right now. I will have to find a tote to put the bucket in, and gather up my other supplies. I am sure it will be interesting.

I will have pictures sometime today.
may i ask how much you had to give for moma & baby?
i'm up in the back woods of NH & they may go for more or less than in your area
but it would give us a ballpark figure as to what they are going for this year

thanks
piglett

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We gave 170$ for the set.

Fencing has been a disaster this evening, so disheartening. The electric net is not working, she will either run through it OR jump over it. Even when tethered to a concrete block. :/ So I am probably looking at bringing them food everyday, which is fine. I have plenty to glean from. I had to milk that sore quarter out a bit this evening. I gave it to the birds, and didn't get that much. I left it for the baby. I will have to get it into an official routine tomorrow morning. I suppose I will start milking her out in the morning. BUT ABSOLUTELY must tweak my stand. I am a little upset and disheartened but I have to learn it before it will work right. It is just frustrating. She also jumped onto the next boxes.

But oh well I must learn some way..... :/

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
We gave 170$ for the set.

Fencing has been a disaster this evening, so disheartening. The electric net is not working, she will either run through it OR jump over it. Even when tethered to a concrete block. :/ So I am probably looking at bringing them food everyday, which is fine. I have plenty to glean from. I had to milk that sore quarter out a bit this evening. I gave it to the birds, and didn't get that much. I left it for the baby. I will have to get it into an official routine tomorrow morning. I suppose I will start milking her out in the morning. BUT ABSOLUTELY must tweak my stand. I am a little upset and disheartened but I have to learn it before it will work right. It is just frustrating. She also jumped onto the next boxes.

But oh well I must learn some way..... :/
well that sounds like a fine price to me for both!

i guess you & moma goat will have to get all of this worked out

maybe she is just testing you :) :barnie

good luck
piglett