We need a new vacuum - Bagged or Bagless ?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
We're shopping for a new vacuum and are looking for something around $100 (so, no Dysons).

I've read a lot of the pros and cons of bagged vs. bagless and thought I'd ask the experts here.

I'm especially curious if anyone has had a non-Dyson bagless one for a long time and if it has either lost suction or been a pain to change the filters (which basically do what the bag was doing in the bagged versions).

So, any recommendations?

UPDATE:

We got the WindTunnel T-Series WindTunnel Bagless Upright:

See here:
http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/we-need-a-new-vacuum-bagged-or-bagless.7356/page-4#post-243199

and here: http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/we-need-a-new-vacuum-bagged-or-bagless.7356/page-4#post-243205

Last edited:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Bagless just means that you have to vacuum again after you empty it out. :sick
Been there done that!
We had to take it outside to empty it, and even then you had to be careful and take precautions.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I love bagless. So I dump the canister into the trash, and then take out the filter (it's in the middle of the canister) and beat it against the inside of the trash can to get the fine stuff out. That's probably just special for this place that is full or fur and pet dander.

I could never change a bag properly and made a big mess. I hated buying (and throwing away) the bags too!

No noticeable loss of suction in the past year. We change the filter about once per year. I probably won't bother with changing the filter this year, but I do want to take off the hose and wash it (the inside).

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
What models do you both have experience with (would be funny if they were the same one) :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
:D I can't remember :lol:
All I know was that when CAREFULLY emptying the canister out, clouds of dust occured!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love my bagless.

I have a Eureka and paid about $89 for it and it is wonderful.
Sucks like crazy.

To empty the canister I hold it over the garbage and release the bottom flap. I had the one that you dump from the top, but that old vacuum died and I got the bottom release dump. I love it alot more.

they are super easy to clean and best of all, no trash like those bags and no extra cash spent on bags.

go bagless man lol

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've used a bagless for years, and will never go back to a bag. Bags are a pain in the butt. As long as you keep the filters clean, I've never had a problem. I have taken the filter outside and used the compressor to blow the stuff out of it. I've also rinsed it out, then let it dry. It depends on how quickly I need to use the vacuum as to which I'll do.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I have taken the filter outside and used the compressor to blow the stuff out of it.
Good idea! I have a forced air dryer that would do that job perfectly! Thanks! :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
All I know was that when CAREFULLY emptying the canister out, clouds of dust occured!
It might depend on WHAT you are vacuuming up. When I dump it out, it's matted up with layers, upon layers of dog hair. (Seriously like 3" deep in there off the living room floor alone!) the dog hair really traps the dust so there's nothing to float around.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
It might depend on WHAT you are vacuuming up. When I dump it out, it's matted up with layers, upon layers of dog hair. (Seriously like 3" deep in there off the living room floor alone!) the dog hair really traps the dust so there's nothing to float around.
No pets, so that would be why.