We need a new vacuum - Bagged or Bagless ?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Bagless all the way here. I have a Bissel bagless. Paid about $89 for it. I dump and bang as well. I bought it because it was cheap and due to the dog and at the time teen age boys I figured I would have to buy another one in a year. That was 3 years ago and its still going strong. I have never replaced the filter. It gets blown out after each use and its still good.

I do have the dust issue occasionally when I dump the canister. But mostly it seems to be when I flip the switch to remove the canister. But dumping utside is not a problem for me. I just vacuum my way to the front door. Pull the vacuum outside the door and then open it up.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bagless. And sorry, but I recommend Dyson :p I burned out 3 others, all different brands, in the span of 2 years and they never cleaned as well. And we maintained the filters, cleaned the bars regularly, etc. I've had my Dyson for 2 years and it's still going strong. And with our literal backyard herd and indoor dog, I wouldn't recommend less. I'm not sure why people have issues with emptying a bagless - you just dump outside or in the trash. You don't even get dirty (unless it's poorly designed) Way better than having to remember to buy a bag. And The clean freak in me likes to see how much I am picking up. And when you vacuum up a tiny toy that your daughter left on the floor and you didn't see, you can find it easily.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Regarding filters - my hubby takes them outside every now and then and blows the dirt out with the air compressor. It really helps no matter what brand it is.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Javamama said:
And The clean freak in me likes to see how much I am picking up.
Me too! AND if I'm not getting that much, then I know I'm vacuuming too often!

:gig

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just found out that a Dyson will suck the keys right off a keyboard. Note to all: do not use the Dyson to clean the computer keyboard :p But it's a good thing it was a bagless and I could retrieve the keys easily.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have central vac in the house, but I use a dirt devil bagless for my non-carpet floors. being in the country, I just go out on my front porch, dump contents into the flwer bed, bang the filters on the side of the house, re-asseble and go back in the house. FWIW,, I HATE central vac.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a Hoover Windtunnel (bagless) that I got at Walmart for about $200 four years ago. Even though it's annoying and a little messy to have to empty it each time I go to vacuum (I take it out to the garage to dump it), it picks up EVERYTHING and is very thorough and has awesome suction. The HEPA filter lasts literally forever and the dust filter I just whack against a post to get it cleaned out or you can wash it and let it dry. I've only had to replace it once in all that time and that was because I tore it up. Also I have a chow-mix that is an indoor dog and she sheds constantly and all that hair blew up several previous vacuums, but not this one!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've had a dyson for over 6 years now and it did blow up last year as they will not tell you that there is another filter under the canister that must be changed or cleaned every other year or so. Guy at the place told me that my vacuum was dirty and they should only be used for normal household cleaning!:barnie
Well duh!
I told him that I did buy the new filters every year and even had two on had each year so that when I changed one out to clean it it could dry for a month. I mean come on folks--who's vacuum is super clean anyways? I never used it to suck up dirt outside or anything. But now that I know that the "lifetime" hepa filter needs to be cleaned and/or changed every so often-I am keeping it cleaned off and it can suck the hair off the cat!:lol:
I don't have a big problem with dust blowing up either I just have a trash can with a liner in it in the back room that I dump into and I am shocked at the amount of cat hair, my hair and dirt/dust that puppy can pick up in a week!
I also picked up a fish tank hose brush set to clean into the little nooks and crannies in the take to keep it a bit cleaner.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
You guys are very motivating. I'm gonna go clean out the inside of the vaccum.

The only thing I don't like is that when we vacuum, it smells like my fiance's dog. He's had the vacuum as long as the dog and never changed the filter. Not sure if he even banged it out.

One time I vacuumed up a carpet deoderizer powder and after bagning the filter out I brushed each crease "clean" with a toothbrush.

I think the inside of the hose if coated with dog dander and going to try to clean it out. Not really sure how I will accomplish that! :lol:

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I've dealt with that "oh the vacuum must have been used" smell. I wonder how often it is attributed to the dirty bag or the rest of the path the air travels throughout the vacuum system.

Also, regarding powder: I've read that any kind of powder can be bad news for most bagged or bagless vacuums and they suggest trying to sweep up most of it or use a shop vac to save your upright.