Weather

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for those who are living in hotter places i'm wondering if you have a way to create an air gap and put up a tarp over the house which would act as a sunshield to keep the sun off the house directly. if you can tolerate the noise of it flapping and can keep enough air flow underneath (enough of a gap and open ends should do it) it might really cut down on how hot the house gets. basically you're doing the same thing as a tree would do for you, but you don't have to wait 20yrs for it to grow.

the idea came to me years ago when i was reading up on insulation and house construction but also how to cool off a greenhouse if needed and there was too much light. in recent times the other reinforcement for the idea came from watching the Hubbell Space Telescope and how they created the sunshield for that and put those layers between the sun and the telescope to keep it cold.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My house is two story and I'm not fond of heights, lol. But - something I have done for the animals in the past was to aim a sprinkler on the metal roof. It drops the inside temp by an appreciable amount inside the barn.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
for those who are living in hotter places i'm wondering if you have a way to create an air gap and put up a tarp over the house which would act as a sunshield to keep the sun off the house directly. if you can tolerate the noise of it flapping and can keep enough air flow underneath (enough of a gap and open ends should do it) it might really cut down on how hot the house gets. basically you're doing the same thing as a tree would do for you, but you don't have to wait 20yrs for it to grow.

the idea came to me years ago when i was reading up on insulation and house construction but also how to cool off a greenhouse if needed and there was too much light. in recent times the other reinforcement for the idea came from watching the Hubbell Space Telescope and how they created the sunshield for that and put those layers between the sun and the telescope to keep it cold.
I think your asking for mold city. Properly insulated and ventilated, attics should be hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than the living spaces. Mature trees help shade some of the roof also.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think your asking for mold city. Properly insulated and ventilated, attics should be hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than the living spaces. Mature trees help shade some of the roof also.

an air gap which gives enough air flow avoids moisture building up.

what if you have no trees and live in a place without an attic?

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
if you don't have AC at home and feel like it is getting too hot there are a few ways to cool down. cold shower, damp cloth/clothes and a fan, or head out and visit the local library, big box store or other venue where you can chill out for a while and read a book or visit with a friend or ...

i just went out to empty the birdbaths for the evening and it wasn't too bad out there with a breeze.

We did lots of those things when I lived in Texas as a kid!

My mom said "of course I grew up with AC, you just get into bed and pop the top sheet a few times, and tada! AC!" :lol:

I always found a head of wet hair and a fan will do wonders!

But hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate!

That is also why the properly built old houses have huge deep wrap around porches. You do NOT want the sun to touch the wall of the house. It makes a huge difference.

The house I had in Texas didn't have many porches, or deep ones... but luckily it was brick, which gave a bit of an extra layer of sun shield.... but it came with an attic fan that I think was a jet engine. If I switched it on the air would whip through that house!!! Nice and cool, just with that fan!

I don't think a sun shield like what you are describing would cause mold... unless you are in a climate with crazy high humidity.... I have friends in Hong Kong... they have to bleach the WALLS in the house... as in livingroom and bedroom walls... about once a week... or mold grows! :ep

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This will be #6, welcome to summer. It's absolutely beautiful outside, currently 75 and feels like 75, partly sunny 👍
Screenshot_20220722-085040~2.png

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is also why the properly built old houses have huge deep wrap around porches. You do NOT want the sun to touch the wall of the house. It makes a huge difference.

or you build like they did the old adobe out west, thick walls, deep set windows. thermal mass and self shading when no other source of shade is available. interior courtyard giving some wind and sun protection and cooler outdoors space at night.

it takes me a while to get used to it when it is warmer but sleeping without any sheet or blanket at all works with a small fan. just as you say, keep hydrated so your body can sweat it out and regulate the temperature.

The house I had in Texas didn't have many porches, or deep ones... but luckily it was brick, which gave a bit of an extra layer of sun shield.... but it came with an attic fan that I think was a jet engine. If I switched it on the air would whip through that house!!! Nice and cool, just with that fan!

I don't think a sun shield like what you are describing would cause mold... unless you are in a climate with crazy high humidity.... I have friends in Hong Kong... they have to bleach the WALLS in the house... as in livingroom and bedroom walls... about once a week... or mold grows! :ep

a well enclosed space with a dehumidifier would be necessary for me because i'd not cope well with the smell of bleach all the time - plus books would probably rot. i would not really enjoy living someplace i couldn't have books.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
an air gap which gives enough air flow avoids moisture building up.

what if you have no trees and live in a place without an attic?
Find a deep cave to live in? lots of natural thermal mass to keep the temperature regulated. Might have to fight of a bear or two as winter approaches though.