Weather

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Find a deep cave to live in? lots of natural thermal mass to keep the temperature regulated. Might have to fight of a bear or two as winter approaches though.

not any of those around here other than man-made mine shafts (which are probably flooded). it's very flat and often wet enough that any underground dwelling would be likely to be a mess, but above grade you'd have a better chance of it working better as long as you understand you'd have to be building the hill you'd put the house in.

as something else to think about though for insulation and thermal mass are the houses that have green roofs. with a good enough membrane and the structural strength to hold it up it works very well and can be very useful for moderating temperature and also rainfalls.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
not any of those around here other than man-made mine shafts (which are probably flooded). it's very flat and often wet enough that any underground dwelling would be likely to be a mess, but above grade you'd have a better chance of it working better as long as you understand you'd have to be building the hill you'd put the house in.

as something else to think about though for insulation and thermal mass are the houses that have green roofs. with a good enough membrane and the structural strength to hold it up it works very well and can be very useful for moderating temperature and also rainfalls.
My house is sunk into the ground... only maybe 3 feet on the west end (then slowly goes to ground level on east end).. but it makes a HUGE difference!

It stays way more moderate in temperature than conventional homes.

I can have zero heat for three days in mid winter before I need to do something.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Was 101 when we stopped at the rest area
20220722_172119.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Im just remembering back to the 115°+ we were last year. I decline having that again.

That said, 105-110° wasn't unusual growing up. I can't handle that heat well now. As a kid playing in the sprinkler in the alfalfa field or in the irrigation ditch was an option. Not the canal. People died in the canals but the small ditch Grandma had coming from her spring was only 4 feet deep at it's max. There are 2 rivers that everyone would go to as well and one of my uncles had a speed boat for water skiing.

I'll take desert heat any day over the swamp crotch of humidity there was on the east coast. Sweating works greats when humidity is in the single digits. Mom said she only hits the teens on it very early morning before the sun is up.

Water helps a lot. Misty sprinkler in the shade is wonderful even as an adult. Get too hot, take a quick shower. Getting rid of the sticky sweat will help tons.

Mom posted video of a family get together last week. One uncle has a nicely sloped lawn that is shaded. He pinned down an 80 foot length of agricultural plastic and set up the hose at the top. All of the adults Mom's age lamented being too old and broke to use it but the kids loved it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
raining now. at last something other than a little bit. looks like more chances later or tomorrow too. we've so needed this.

i watered good yesterday so this will get the ground soaked much better and with rain water instead of well water.

with cooler temperatures this week and a lot of beans blooming this might also mean a lot more pods getting pollinated/setting fruits. i was worried a lot of the pods would just drop because of the heat damaging things.

Latest posts