Weather

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's impressive to have controlled testing.
I don't think Oregon tests. I don't think they have as many people who collect any shellfish either. Shellfish license is minimal cost. It includes Pacific Ocean crabbing but there is an extra fee for the Puget Sound endorsement on it. Clams, mussles, geoduck and oysters are for collecting anywhere. Each have their own limits. Geoducks are first 3 dug.

I'm not sure I could manage to dig one of them. They are deeper than razor clams and also can outdig you. Then you must fill in holes. I can dig razor clams fine, but a clam gun is faster. Shovel is better in dry sand at very low tides.

Shellfish covers seaweed and derelict shells as well except oyster shells. Those must stay in location on oyster beaches. Sprat grow on them and it's a huge fine to remove any wild oyster shell. You must shuck them in place into a bag.

Fish and Game LOVE to spot check to fine people

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This morning it's 48 out, 63 inside. Room heater on for couple hrs to remove chill. Brr..not liking cold we have a couple more days of this sample of winter!! Then a promise of return to normal. I can ease into better than this suddenly here stuff.🤔🥶🤪😒🤨🥴🥴 drizzles still here too.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we had frost Sunday night. last night was close but i don't think it got down that far. squash and peppers are completely done for sure.

next forecast for frost is Friday night. will have squash brought in by then.

still trying to get house prepped and stained as much as can get done. wasted a day on bad tubes of caulk holding up how fast i could get it done. Mom stained a bit yesterday and that looks nice. i'll do touch up today and hope to get at least the side of the garage done (the place that looks the worse too just so i don't have to look at it any more). i have an appointment this afternoon so that will cut a few hours out of today. stuff happens though. just gotta roll with it...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is not normal. That's summer temps and we haven't had our rains come back
20221007_154456.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we didn't get frosted last night but mid-30sF will shut the gardens down even more now. forecast is for a few more nights this week like this and some rains starting Tue-Thur, which by that time i should be ready for a break anyways so that works out perfectly. :)

dig today in garden, maybe pick some dry beans, stain house for 2-3 days. yep, i'll be ready...

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We got frost. I had gotten plastic up on two of the smaller beds and everything survived, the one I only got a towel on the lettuce froze. Highs in the 40s today but back to mid 60s next week, we will definitely be winter prepping this upcoming week will need to take some time off of the desk job to get stuff done.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
highs today and tomorrow in the 70s and 80sF and then the rest of the week in the 40s with lows in the 20s! True fall weather here in the midwest. We have a chance of severe thunderstorm weather and freezing. lol

i don't know that we'll hit the 80s again this season but it would be nice if it happened for a few days. the warmest day in our forecast is for tomorrow and that is mid-70s, the rest of the week is going to be much cooler. not sure i'll be able to get much more staining done - we'll see... :)