Weather

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it drives me nutso too. the idea that we have to use so much goes against my basic sense that it is best to use as few resources as possible to get by.

we don't own the tank and it is a larger one, they gave us the option of buying the tank a few years ago but that makes no sense to me since things may eventually change and it is old enough that perhaps it may eventually need to be replaced or something?

they must have some inventory expense perhaps for the tanks they own even if they are used or not? that's my guess, plus the general maintenance cost of keeping them in proper condition. but to me that cost should be baked into the cost of the propane and i'm pretty sure we'll be paying more for that this season than last. prices have not gone up nearly as bad as natural gas though.

personally, i'd be happy with all electric, ground pump, solar electricity and solar hot water heating on the sunny days we just don't have enough of those through the winter though that it works as well as i'd like. none of that is in place here. i could easily go to all electric heat though and pay the power company for the juice as needed. the only problem with that is the once in a while winter storm that can take the power out for a while. so having the propane tank as backup heat source (using the fake fireplace) has kept us warm a few times when otherwise we'd be shivering our timbers...

ah, well, it's an insanity i can cope with. :) at least i know it is there... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fall is here. In the coming days, we have a predicted overnight low of 37F. Too soon

last night it was supposed to get down to nearly frost level but i don't think we did get even close. weather forecasts this year have been rather far off. we have a nice week coming now if the forecast is actually going to hold up. sunny, dry, overnight in the upper 30sF at the lowest for a few nights, but daytimes in the 60sF.

i can get a lot done with weather like this. once the gardens dry out a bit more. if anything i can get some caulking done around the house and finish a few part done projects. weeding and picking dry beans when they're ready. it was a bit too muddy out there yesterday when i buried some bean pods.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Yuck
Screenshot_20221002-135121_Chrome.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yeah, frost chance tonight here too. oh well, it's weeks past mid-September so i'm ok with this if it happens. i did pick a few boxes of dry beans the past few days so most of what was ready to come in is in. the beans that didn't finish up will either become ready or not and will get turned into worm food if they're not edible.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am now at the hummmmmmm stage of if I want to turn on the heat or not.

No heat sure costs less than yes heat. :lol:
I decided to set my thermostat to 65. It came on a couple times last week.

I get panicky when the house is colder than that - childhood trauma from broken furnace for years, ice crystals on the shampoo, inadequate winter gear, frostbite/chillblains, plus bad circulation. Was not good!

Latest posts