Weather

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, but we have a generator even if it's small. Can't run the well but fridge, freezers, lamp and phone chargers, plus the one window AC worked fine.

Very old septic system so it's gravity fed and has no electricity to it. Hauling water from pond or stream to flush works. We do keep some potable water stored.

Tomorrow is supposed to be the hottest. This is part of why we didn't want to live around Hermiston Oregon. I grew up dealing with the heat and don't do well in it now.

20210627_175353.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Right you are -- HAMMERED! That heat is unreal. I have a well, many animals, so my big generator is set to plug into an adapter at my meter to deal with power thru panel. I just have to turn off breakers to some things...like water heater...so I don't have several big pulls at once. But, can run large pulls, in turn, as needed. A controlled use, close to a more expensive permanent whole house units.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a very deep well with poor fill rate. Have a generator. Prior to buying the generator, we were w/o power for 13 days during and after a nasty ice storm. We NEED to buy a hand pump to go on the well. I also need to get off my butt, and do the homework to order a grain mill. I would like to find one that can be hand cranked or electric powered and highly rated, if there be such a beast. Then... to order some wheat berries, and get them safely stored.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a very deep well with poor fill rate. Have a generator. Prior to buying the generator, we were w/o power for 13 days during and after a nasty ice storm. We NEED to buy a hand pump to go on the well. I also need to get off my butt, and do the homework to order a grain mill. I would like to find one that can be hand cranked or electric powered and highly rated, if there be such a beast. Then... to order some wheat berries, and get them safely stored.
Check out the Grainmaker https://grainmaker.com/ It rivals the Diamonte grain mill, at a fraction of the cost, PLUS it's American made.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
W
A hand pump only works on a well less than 250 feet, a Bison hand pump is a quality pump. Drawing the water up from a deeper well is an extremely laborious upper body task.
we wanted a manual pump for our well, but it turned out our casing is small; we would have to remove the electric pump in order to insert the manual pump. Instead, we went with a dual power pump (grid/solar). It's not super powerful, but we manage. It's nice to get the "free" water in the middle of the day. If we experienced a power outage, I would fill several large containers with water each day for use when the sun isn't shining. We experience something like 320 days of sunshine on average, so this works for us. I don't think it would be that useful in England though, lol.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A hand pump only works on a well less than 250 feet, a Bison hand pump is a quality pump. Drawing the water up from a deeper well is an extremely laborious upper body task.

While our well is very deep (225') the water comes up to within 10' of the top of the casing. We have1.5 gal return.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
111° today. And we are without power again. Lucky I was too lazy to roll up the cords in the heat last night or today. Easy to just start generator and plug back in.

Lost 3 silkie today so five total from heat wave. I can give all the cool water and watermelon I want but can't make them eat or drink. They won't wade in bowls like the large fowl either.

My white rooster was actually exhibited stress signs by laying funny in the shade so he spent 10 minutes directly in front of the window shaker then another 20 sitting on my chair with me. Saved him at least. He was talking to me like normal when I put him back out.