Weather

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
111° today. And we are without power again. Lucky I was too lazy to roll up the cords in the heat last night or today. Easy to just start generator and plug back in.

Lost 3 silkie today so five total from heat wave. I can give all the cool water and watermelon I want but can't make them eat or drink. They won't wade in bowls like the large fowl either.

My white rooster was actually exhibited stress signs by laying funny in the shade so he spent 10 minutes directly in front of the window shaker then another 20 sitting on my chair with me. Saved him at least. He was talking to me like normal when I put him back out.
Maybe try a fan where they like to lounge? Some folks are wetting down the ground and then putting a fan on, says it helps.

I can't imagine heat like that and then no electric!!! I'd melt!!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1624980275931.png

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Timely topic with the power outage. Mine was out last week for just over 24 hours after a storm. I was thinking of starting a thread soon on alternative power options for those times. The cafe had a generator but the petrol powered type are not economical for me. Man oh man, I was glad to have a wood fire place!! It was about 2C/35F overnight and didnt get far past 5C/40F the whole time the power was out. I was one of the lucky ones, the next town over had power out for almost 50 hours. The flash flooding damage near the coast was the worst I have seen, but not too much property damage, few injuries. More so roads washed away and trees over.

I love winter and have been able to keep the temp inside just under 16C/60F with the fire just trickling along. I have a thermometer set up infront of the rabbits pen so I dont cook them. My home is a breezy cottage and this is just enough cosy.

I am definitely putting lawn in some places now. It will take a few years to get coverage everywhere but after seeing the flood damage down south, places with grass held together better than those bare. Plus it will be a relief for the ducks feet in summer!

I do not envy the heat. Its not unusual to get over 40C/104F temps here, but I know my limits and limit myself to a dark room with the air conditioning on once it passes 36C/97F 😆

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All you fine Texans sent summer back 👍 it darn near hit 85 degrees. Working in the sun makes me.sweat so I drink some cold naturally fermented pickle juice and say is that all you Texans got? 😂. You haven't even made me break out the beet juice yet. Come on Tex you can do it 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It has been cool the past few days. Only in the low 90’s. We sent summer to the west coast. Oops. Didn’t mean to do that. Y’all can send it back. We are used to it and better prepared.

Longest I ever went without power was almost 5 weeks, after a hurricane. It was hot, humid, not even a breeze and the biggest swamp skeeters ever, that blew in from the Gulf of Mexico.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today we finally got a window installed on the north side of the house to help us take advantage of the evening breeze! Plus there's a lot more light in the living room now.
Windows are good things!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They sure are. Now I'm counting my spare change to see if we can afford some more double paned windows; something I've been wanting for at least 10 years now, but there was always something more important to budget for (like our big fence, which took 3 years of saving to accomplish)

Latest posts