Weather

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We need rain.... it has gotten super overcast today... maybe it will rain tonight or tomorrow

:fl

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Got a short shower yesterday eve, some sprinkles this morning. Not near what they had been predicting. Anything is better than nothing. And with the clouds it is not so hot.
See some little tiny baby squash and a few flowers on the beans and some in the potato patch. Some nice looking peppers and the tomatoes are really getting alot of green ones.
Deer have DEMOLISHED the sunflowers... eating off the tops that the stalks are as big around as my thumbs... Never knew they liked them so much. NEXT year there will be a complete fence around this garden. And the rest of the property so I can have a couple of calves here and keep a dog so it can help keep the deer out of the whole 2 acres. There will be a TON of deer meat harvested this fall. They are so bold as to go walking across the back of the property just below the garden at 10-11 in the morning like they are taking an afternoon Sunday stroll. Chased a big doe and buck with at least 6 pts in velvet out the other afternoon about 5... I mean they looked at me like "so what... who are you?" I went after them with the pitchfork in my hands and they realized I was very serious and then took off and ran...
There are way too many in this area... like cattle in the fields....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got a short shower yesterday eve, some sprinkles this morning. Not near what they had been predicting. Anything is better than nothing. And with the clouds it is not so hot.
See some little tiny baby squash and a few flowers on the beans and some in the potato patch. Some nice looking peppers and the tomatoes are really getting alot of green ones.
Deer have DEMOLISHED the sunflowers... eating off the tops that the stalks are as big around as my thumbs... Never knew they liked them so much. NEXT year there will be a complete fence around this garden. And the rest of the property so I can have a couple of calves here and keep a dog so it can help keep the deer out of the whole 2 acres. There will be a TON of deer meat harvested this fall. They are so bold as to go walking across the back of the property just below the garden at 10-11 in the morning like they are taking an afternoon Sunday stroll. Chased a big doe and buck with at least 6 pts in velvet out the other afternoon about 5... I mean they looked at me like "so what... who are you?" I went after them with the pitchfork in my hands and they realized I was very serious and then took off and ran...
There are way too many in this area... like cattle in the fields....

Deer eat on our grape vines. My wife ordered some flashy multi colored silver ribbon, it really sparkles and is light enough to dance around in the wind. I tried it on both sides of the grape vines, one on the top wire and one on the bottom wire. I cut them long to where they are just about to hit the ground. Thankfully we haven't had a problem since and the grape vines are recovering nicely. Live and learn, deer can be quite destructive when it comes to vegetation.

Chasing deer with a pitchfork, any video? 😂

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nope, no video... and too bad I didn't have a video today for the STUPID DEER standing in the middle of the road... with a car coming from each direction... then just calmly walking across and going up through the corn.... and then tonight there is another down in the yard not too far from the garden... They are more populous than our cattle.... :somad
:rant:he

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were told cold front by noon, temps drop to 80. HOT, no clouds, dry so I drip watered tomatoes for 2.5 hrs! They needed more than the 1/2 to 1" we've been getting sparingly. At 2....blue sky still. Then at 4 the clouds arrived, plus a hard, fast rain for 1/2"....now at 5:45 we have the grandaddy clouds, thunder and you can see the rains coming toward . 🤞. The ground is dry a few inches down. We need a really good soaker!

Didn't hit post!
:ep:duc:rant
But darned stuff passed!!!!!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were told cold front by noon, temps drop to 80. HOT, no clouds, dry so I drip watered tomatoes for 2.5 hrs! They needed more than the 1/2 to 1" we've been getting sparingly. At 2....blue sky still. Then at 4 the clouds arrived, plus a hard, fast rain for 1/2"....now at 5:45 we have the grandaddy clouds, thunder and you can see the rains coming toward . 🤞. The ground is dry a few inches down. We need a really good soaker!

Didn't hit post!
:ep:duc:rant
But darned stuff passed!!!!!!

I hear you loud and clear...

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Latest posts