What animal have you rescued today?

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bee, I hear ya about the animal limit.
I love each of my dogs dearly, but SO and I both sometimes feel like it is next to impossible to spend any quality time with an individual pooch. It's an entirely human-invented guilt, I'm sure the dogs could give a rip :lol:
Life with four is wonderful, but in the future, our pack will consist of TWO canines.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep, no less and no more. One is lonely and needs pack frolic and fun and three is a crowd. Same with the cats and the sheep, although I plan to expand the sheep herd to four or more.

I mostly feel like I never get enough time with the animals I do have, let alone adding more. I've often wondered how folks with many get the time to love on all of them....speaking from the youngest of nine kids, I know that when you have a lot, some go without attention at times.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I totally agree about the animal limit. Shadow loves being an only child, and I love the freedom of just one dog. So I foster, and it works out pretty well.

There have been postings on craigslist here trying to find hoarders, or other people with too many animals to reasonably care for to interview. Apparently Animal Planet is starting a new series about it. I don't watch TV, but it would be interesting to watch some time.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Three is *indeed* a crowd. When it comes to pooches, three is a much larger number than two. I was however slightly bemused to discover that four isn't noticeably more than three.
The concept of five makes me want a pacifier and blankie, so that's where I stop wondering about dog maths.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
I totally agree about the animal limit. Shadow loves being an only child, and I love the freedom of just one dog. So I foster, and it works out pretty well.

There have been postings on craigslist here trying to find hoarders, or other people with too many animals to reasonably care for to interview. Apparently Animal Planet is starting a new series about it. I don't watch TV, but it would be interesting to watch some time.
They need to interview my sister..... :rolleyes: It's sad to watch her struggle to care for all those animals but it also makes me want to slap her really hard sometimes. :(

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ugh I have a hoarder in the family too. It started with a single female cat she got when I was 7. I am 23 now. You can imagine the horror.
And vaccinations, worming, basic health care? Surely you jest.

I've begged, pleaded, cajoled, offered discounts, anything to get her to start spayin'...
"But I just couldn't do that to them! It HURTS to have surgery!"
And now I'll stop before I am bashing my own family. She's a wonderful person in many ways, just totally irrational and childlike when it comes to animals.

Bee, if *you* felt like coming over and giving her a good slap, that'd keep me in the clear :lol:

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
No pets right now. :( I'm not ready again inside.
These are the ones I have taken in that needed homes/help.
Smokey- stray dog that came to to romance my friends dog and stayed with me afterwards.
Mickey- dumped kitten
3 babies (about two weeks old) whose Mama took off. They were already infected with distemper. :hit They passed after about a week.
Badger- overweight pup that seemed sickly, so hubby had to get that one. He's a softie too with critters.
Mylinx- Feral kitten. Took a week to be able to touch her. Then I was her Mama. :love
Feneris- Full grown wolf mix that decided I was his when I was camping. :love Beautiful. He tried to protect me the day after I met him- and settled down as soon as we told him to. He loved to cuddle.
Baby- Sweet but sick Maine coon. Nursed him for two years. :hit
Gabriel- Kitten dumped in a busy stores parking lot. I took him in for a year. He's got it made with my in-laws now.
Ashley- Litter was going to the pound and my brother "knew, that I would want her." :love I wasn't allowed pets there. Kept her and moved. She was my soul mate with paws till she passed last year.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll admit that when I was a child, my family was what you may consider 'hoarders' of cats... mostly because of me and my tears when someone would dump a cat in our yard (which they did a lot). Mom called it a cat rescue, not hoarding... we would give any away if anyone wanted one, or five.

We lived in the country and had a two story barn attached to the house that housed what was essentially a feral cat colony. People knew we wouldn't kill cats and would drive past and throw boxes of kittens into our yard. Most never saw a vet, some got re-homed to other barns, but we usually had between 20 and 37 cats at any given time. Most never saw a vet, in fact most couldn't be touched by humans. We fed them, provided shelter in the winter... but really that was about it. The most vet care they got was wormer mixed into their food. The few who were friendly got to live inside the house in extreme weather.

I watched a show called 'Hoarders', I think on A&E... there was a woman there who had 127 cats in a small house, when they cleaned her house they found more than 30 dead cats and kittens... most were in advanced decomp... THAT is nothing like our barn was.