What animal have you rescued today?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
It does seem like cats need rescuing a lot of the time.

We try to rescue dogs because that is what we are good at. But I think we are all a basic personality type. I read a book about angels once and it described many stories such as the one lupinfarm told us and mine about the person in the grocery store during the epileptic seizure.

I also wondered about myself that day when I acted so out of character and started ordering the restaurant around. Was I just the way the Lord chose to make sure that fat guy lived? Perhaps He thought I was the bossiest chick in the restaurant at the time. lol

I know a rescuer friend who took a trip to Hawaii. Of course it just happened to be when a giant typhoon hit the island and a lot of the island's dogs were displaced. So who organized the rescue effort? My friend of course. You think the Lord did not have a hand in her being there at that time?

I'm not a bible thumper or regular churchgoer, but when it comes to rescue, I have always felt some sort of outside intervention or guidance helping me along. I feel all creatures were born for some purpose, even if it is to teach us something during their death.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am preparing myself to foster puppies again. I went to the Goodwill outlet and found a babygate. When you have puppies in the house, you cannot have too many babygates!!!
We usually keep them in one of our bathrooms, but as they grow they need more and more space. We let them out of the bathroom to play with us and like to block access to the kitchen and some of the bedrooms, so our old cat can get some peace.

Right now we still have baby chicks in the livng room, and I won't foster any animals until they are out of the house. It is just too much to deal with otherwise.

I also want to start fostering older dogs, that need to find new homes. I'll need to sign up for the training that our Humane Society requires. I am looking forward to doing that. And who knows, maybe one of those dogs will find a forever home with us. ;)
I like the idea of fostering, because that way you get to have the fun of the animal and you are doing a good deed, yet all the expenses are covered by the Humane Society.

Our Humane Society is a no kill shelter and they are agressive about placing their animals in adoptive homes. An animal that has been at the shelter for a long time gets featured in special promotions. They also have lots of volunteers to spend time with all their animals. The dogs get walked several times a day and get to go outside and play. They get training too, so they are more adoptable. I have been involved with this shelter for many years and really enjoy working with them.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
My kitty Yamo was abandoned by her momma when she was a couple of weeks old. I wasn't able to keep her, so my best friend adopted her. I paid for her shots and flea meds, and helped with buying kitty food too. Well, after about a year, he gets this B----- of a girlfriend and the house and kitty were all put on the back burner. Needless to say, when I went over there to visit it looked like an episode of Hoarders. Poor Yamo had no litter box and she ate (with the roaches) out of a bag of cat food, opened on the floor. When he got kicked out of his house because of it's condition, Yamo had no where to go. I got in touch with a local group that re-homes cats. She had to stay the night with me so I could take her to the foster home the next day- she never went. One night was all it took and she was mine! Its kinda silly to me that I saved her twice, but there's not a force on Earth that would make me give her up now.

My first two chickens were also saved- from the soup pot. They were both already two years old and they were gonna be butchered. Although Eva is no longer with me, Zoii lays big brown eggs nearly everyday! She's my best layer and the queen of the flock.

All four of my mother's cats are strays she picked up. I think the only animals I have ever bought where my gerbils and my two EEs.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Two semi-feral cats for barn kitties, a local rescue could not tame them for adoption as pets. May they live a long and productive life as vermin killers here! Hopefully they like fresh rat more than the big bag of expensive Wellness I bought for them....

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I saw a dog last night that seriously needs saving.
I was visiting some friends from high school, and their dog was so sick and visibly in so much pain that I went outside and had a meltdown.

She's a big yellow lab, and she's got chronic ear infections. The owner is a lazy guy and he hasn't tended them. The dog can hardly walk any more. The infection has clearly moved to her inner ear. Every time she tries to walk she ends up spinning in circles.
It was hearbreaking to watch. Her big brown eyes were so full of pain, and I was the only person in the room aware of it.
I've completely lost all respect for the friend, and I truly don't want to be around him anymore.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Occamstazer - I'm so sorry. I have been in that kind of situation before, and it's physically painful.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Occamstazer, that sounds similar to the condition the dog who lived in this house was like. She was FIL's dog. Fortunately for her, he left her here when he moved out and SO got to look after her. 1st thing we did, was to give her decent food. Then I spent about $1000 and 1 year dealing with her ear infections. Apparently she had ear infections nearly all her life.
People who saw the dog a year later didn't recognize her. They thought we got a new puppy!!!
Fortunately I had a decent paying job at the time. I just could not stand by and let this dog suffer like that. SO's father just didn't see anything wrong with the dog. He thought it was a waste of money to take the dog to the vet. SO kept arguing with him about it, then we finally just took the dog to the vet without FIL's permission. From then on we claimed the dog as ours and wouldn't even let FIL feed the dog. He used to feed the dog packages of bologna and hot dogs, that were past their date, almost spoiled. She lived to be about 17 years old.

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
A scorpion in my bath tub, I always try to catch them alive and let them go, that's the third one this week.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been trying to feed up fluffy girly cat. She's really emaciated and next time she shows up we're going to worm her.

I also put out the left overs of lamb chops for the barn kitties + black and white mancat :)

Black and white mancat lives off the meat scraps and kitty food on the porch over the winters and when there isn't much game.