What are ten things you would want to have with you when the SHTF?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
2dream said:
I guess when you say "have with you" you mean I won't be at home where I have most everything I need.

So if thats the case I only want a couple of things with me.

1. Transportation to get to my house.
The other 9 things are enough guns and ammo to fight my way home.
I agree. Since I will not be bugging out, it's all within a few steps. I just have to make sure I have prepared myself thoroughly. Hopefully I am getting close.

Latest item checked off: Hanging black plastic solar water heater. And a spare.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm always so confused by these TSHTF threads. I'm finally going to 'fess up to my ignorance and ask.....

What exactly do you anticipate TSHTF will be? You all seem to know, since you know what you need to prepare for it. I'm not sure I get it.

I understand being prepared for a natural disaster, where you may be without power for as much as a few weeks. If things are really bad, there may be temporary gasoline shortages, drinkable water shortages, etc. So I can see being prepared for something like that.

I can see being prepared economically in case you lose your job, to be able to keep your family fed for a few months, etc.

I can see the general need to protect your home against burglars, etc., but this is more of an everyday kind of thing and not a disaster scenario.

But I get the feeling that there's more here that you all are discussing, and I'm not "getting" it. What am I missing? Thanks.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said: "What am I missing?"

For me, when " The Sh!t Hits The Fan" scenario, would be a total economic and social breakdown. The worst of the worst, so to speak.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
TSHTF and similar discussions, generally relate to any type of disaster or turmoil that causes long term disruption of society and/or basic services. It could be a nuclear exchange, economic collapse, zombie apocalypse ;) , and/or any extreme disaster (real or imagined). If you're prepared for one of these, then you are fairly well prepared to handle most anything that comes your way.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For our family it's not about the end of the world, it's being prepared for a natural disaster or an extended power outage etc. If you go a little over and beyond with what you store normally, you will be prepared for just about any situation your family might be in. We tend to have a lot of power outages so we have two alternative methods of cooking, the BBQ and we built a rocket stove that is portable. We have food allergies so I have a freezer stocked of food that our allergic child would need and enough jars if I had to can it in an emergency if I was going to lose meat, veggies to spoilage I have the equipment to do so.
To me being prepared for TSHTF is having enough supplies that you could do without having to deal with all the unprepared people waiting in lines at the stores if the trucks could not get to the grocery/stores for supplies for a few weeks. That being said it could all be destroyed and we have nothing, then I will be on my knees praying for manna, and being prepared means I would know what to do with it :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
This is a bit humorous and I thought worthy of adding :D

Primal Preparations for the Post Apocalypse
With oil spreading across the surface of the ocean, the world economy teetering on a precipice, and the Real Housewives of New Jersey premiering on Bravo, its not a stretch to believe the end of times are coming. While several companies will sell you kits for the occasion, usually they amount to a four thousand dollar credit card bill and a truckload of rice and oats. Rice and oats are no good for the low-carber, or for anyone wishing to avoid the all-too-common emaciated look of apocalypse survival. Thus, to wind down the week with something a little light-hearted (and whats more light-hearted than the end of the world as we know it), the Worker Bees have come up with a Primal-approved list of supplies to ease the transition through the fall of modern civilization. Be it global warming, the rapture, or a zombie outbreak, get ready to stock up your bomb shelters! (NOTE: Bomb shelters have been on the decline since the late 1950s when scientists figured out that six inches of concrete wont stop a twenty mile wave of cell-melting nuclear radiation. If you have no bomb shelter, a basement will suffice).

First a few non-potables, the most important being

1. Friends. More important than food. More important than weapons. If theres one thing evolution, ancient history, and modern horror movies have taught us, people survive in groups. Unlike the blood-thirsty mutants surrounding your village, you dont have eyes in the back of your head. Having friends to watch your back, to take the night watch, to drag you to safety and to pull out the bullet, is the one thing you really cant live without. And no fair-weather friends. Golfing buddies, frenemies, and people who poke you on Facebook dont count. You need people in your Dunbars circle. The type of friends who would risk life and limb to preserve your spot in line at the premier of Sex and the City 2. The type of friends who would forgive you for farting in a closed elevator. Humans have a capacity to attain roughly one hundred fifty such close friends, and while you may not need all hundred fifty, its good to have at least five. Friends wont store well in a basement, but youll want to keep a fresh supply within a twenty mile radius.

2. A Dog. Basically a small, fast friend with a good sense of smell. Dogs will alert you of approaching lycanthropes, and if the situation is dire, a dog makes for a quick protein-filled emergency meal.

3. Knives: steak, butcher, bowie, and spork. Knives are the weapon of choice for the Hell-World survivalist. Much preferable to guns, a knife will never run out of bullets. Whether separating a homunculus from its limbs or carving a wooden doll for the creepy little clairvoyant girl, knives get the job done. The spork has been included for eating efficiency and style. Its a modern culinary blasphemy that fine cutlery may include fourteen various sizes and shapes of utensil, and yet not one spork.

4. A Vacuum Sealer. Oxygen is the enemy of longevity. Whether fruit, meat, or the remains of a favorite cat, the less air it touches, the longer its going to last. While most modern vacuum sealers are powered, youll want to find a non-electric sealer for the low-tech times to come.

5. Emergency Kit. Most kits include a variety of bandages, tweezers, ibuprofen, matches, and flares. Flares arent really useful so much as aesthetically impressive when fighting crime underwater, measuring how a deep a cave goes, or distracting dinosaurs at Jurassic Park. By the way, if your post apocalypse is overrun with dinosaurs, you might as well kiss yourself goodbye.

The Grocery List
Toss the kids into the Voyager and bring along a hand truck, because its time to hit Costco! The key words are calorically dense. The more calories per cubic inch of food, the better. And now, the list of approved foods

1. Water. You may be able to survive a month after the food runs out, but youll be dead in three days without water. While eight glasses a day isnt necessary, a quart of water a day works as a rule of thumb. That comes out to roughly 100 gallons of water a year. And dont you dare buy Dasani. Aside from the environmental footprint of wasted plastic bottles, and the fact that youd be lining the wallets of Coca-Cola executives, purchasing 100 gallons worth of 20oz water bottles would require a second mortgage. The best option is to buy a couple 50 gallon plastic drums and fill them with good old tap. And make sure to get the air-tight barrels. As the old saying goes, An unkempt water drum makes for a hotbed of mosquitoes and/or a sentient face eating slime monster.

2. Sardines. Loaded with omega 3s, an amazing source of fat and protein, you want the ones in olive oil, not in water. Sardines should compromise the base of your daily diet. They can be mashed into a salad, eaten raw, or even cooked in a soup. Anchovies and canned tuna (again, in oil, not water) also work.

3. Jerky: Beef, Salmon, Venison, Quail, Turkey, Aardvark, basically any meat you can dry out. DIY Jerky is the best route, though it may only last six months if you dont vacuum seal it. If you choose store-bought jerky, go for dry, unflavored, or peppered jerky. Avoid Teriyaki and similar flavors as they typically contain unnecessary quantities of HFCS. And remember, a SlimJim is not jerky, its mechanically separated chicken parts mixed in a corn oil emulsion.

4. Pemmican. Pemmican is Eskimo for meat wad. Learn how to make your own as a travel snack for the long days spent on the tundras of a world climate-changed to an endless Winnipeg.

5. Canned Fruits and Vegetables. While canned goods last for decades, fruits and veggies are a luxury considering the relatively low macronutrient density. If a pickle only has eight calories, youd need an Ark full of pickles to survive for a year. Pick nutrient dense canned goods; spinach, tomatoes, pumpkin, and pineapple are fine choices. Avoid fruits canned in syrup, canned corn (not a vegetable), and canned asparagus, which is just plain nasty.

6. Nuts. Nuts wont keep as long as canned goods, though nut butters can stay edible for more than a year. A large jar of almond butter may contain over 3000 calories.

7. Coconut Milk/Cream. In the calorie-dense department, this stuff really takes the cake. At 700 calories a can, itll keep you energized for days. And because so many people have sent in emails on the subject no, coconut milk is not a dairy product; and no, you cannot milk a coconut by squeezing its teats. Coconuts have no teats.

8. Olives. Canned olives dont have the zing of fresh Kalamata olives, but they still contain healthy fat, and they go well with the piles of sardines and anchovies you just purchased. A hundred cans will do.

9. Vodka. Its not strictly Primal, but it disinfects, its flammable, it can be traded for goods, and you just bought a hundred cans of olives, so why not mix a few martinis?

10. Vitamins. Scurvy is not fun. Not even for pirates. Goiters arent very pleasant either. Jaundice. No. Not fun.

11. Herbs, Spices, Salt, Tabasco. Herbs are cheap, and while they will go stale after about 18 months, a little fennel can go long way for flavor. Considering the massive amounts of coconut milk youll be consuming, investing in a heavy supply of curry powder is also suggested. And Tabasco is included on the list because, frankly, a world without Tabasco is its own Hell on Earth.

12. Sugary Drinks and Sodas. Whatever version of doomed future you may be living through, there are bound to be a few self-aware robots vying for world domination. And whether the robots disguise themselves as former Austrian body builders or colorful 18 wheelers, you can bet theyll be bullet proof. Enter soda. As anyone who has ever owned a laptop or blackberry will attest, no electronic device can survive a direct spill from a can of sugary soda. If the machines wires dont short circuit immediately, its only a matter of time before nearby ants creep in to suck at the corn syrup laden innards of a mean robot who will most certainly not be back.

13. Ant Farm. Ants are a great source of protein. Or you can unleash them on a Coke-soaked terminator.

14. Cheetos. The orange coating on Cheetos permanently bonds to many surfaces, perfect for marking trails, unsafe buildings, or members of the group infected with mind-control parasites.

15. Quaker Low Fat Rice Cakes. Though scientifically proven to be inedible, Quaker low fat rice cakes do have many of the same properties as Styrofoam. Soaked in gasoline for a week, they work as a kind of poor mans napalm, a great defense against hordes of wayward bikers and rapscallions.

As useful as this grocery list may be, it is only a temporary fix. The average person may eat close to a million calories a year. Most people dont have enough basement or money for an extra years worth of groceries. Or a decades worth. Stocking up for a lifetime is impossible, but stocking up for the time it takes you do adapt to re-adapt - to a primitive hunter-gatherer lifestyle is possible. In the future, money will be worthless. Good looks wont get you by if the zombie only wants you for your brains. Only healthy, Primal lifestyle habits will carry a person through the hardest times.

No one ever said living through the fall of man would be easy. But in the mean time, with a little know how, the right tools, a basement full of calorie dense, fatty foods, and a few good friends, youll have everything you need to make your living nightmare a dream come true.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace That was awesome!!! But i must say dont eat your dog. They are too usefull.

And has everyone notice everyone wants chickens?

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Here's my list of items...
Of course, that leaves off just a few essentials.

1. COFFEE!
2. A bazillion rolls of toilet paper
3. COFFEE!
4. More toilet paper
5. You get the idea...
k0xxx, you ruined the exercise for me!! Here I am, trying to limit myself and I'm THINKING about coffee!!!!!!!!!!!! :barnie

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Note to self... get dog.

Any suggestion on which breeds taste better?
:gig

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Note to self... get dog.

Any suggestion on which breeds taste better?
:gig
Well chow chows were bred for food. ;)