What Are They Thinking...??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you are right Ohio

creeeeekkkyyyy and that ain't the 1/2 of it lol

I always say real farming is backbreaking work vs. a backyard garden....but I am slowing down on that true farm work and heading into the more organized and easier backyard gardening lol

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How cool is that farmfresh,having a neighbor still gardening in his mid 90's...! Now thats a great example, i hope i'm doing that if i become an old timer..lol My granddaddy gardened until he passed at 86yr.
Mainergal, are you way up north,or central or south in Maine...Maybe with global warming it will keep getting warmer up that way.50's sounds pretty good for now...but what about Jan. Feb. ? Down south is getting to crowded, where i live in NY sucks, and i don't care for long winters...
However Maine has great seafood, tons of firewood, affordable land, much clean water and air.These things are of great importance,okay...maybe not the seafood.
Hmmmm...maybe i could get use to the cold for all those good things..!
How long a been up in Maine, Mainergirl...? Are you from there...? Do you like it there..?

Mainergal

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been up here for about 15 years now, was originally from WV. I'm in the midcoast area so the ocean keeps the temp nice. It can get cold tho, some years we've dipped to -20, but that's about the coldest I've seen. The last few Winters seemed to be mild, or maybe I've blanked it out so I won't get depressed as this one is coming soon.

I have to admit, it took some getting used to for getting over being cold and being from the South. The one thing that I love is that it's like stepping back in time. I never lock the door or the car, even used to be only one cop and one traffic light in town. Things have changed here over the last 15 years, but I still feel like it's more like 30 or 40 years ago. Recently my husband went to his favorite home made donut shop and forgot he had no checks, she said "just pay when you come by again". I do love it up here, just wish I had more than my 1 acre.

Personally, I could even go a little more North for a little more land for the money, the area I live in is ridiculous for house prices and taxes. We got this place repossessed, if we tried to buy a house in this area now, we could never afford it so we were really lucky. I do love it here, it's a real unique place to live.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Pssst. Have you seen that Freemotion has a listing on a house somewhere on here??

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
what rights would someone lose because they are on government assistance? I would think they would not lose any of their rights.....but of course people always judge how they live their life or spend their checks lol

It is funny but as I get older I have become a little less SS than when younger. I sure am way more SS than millions of others but getting older now I am using a few more shortcuts and conveniences.
The right to privacy goes right out the window.
They use cards instead of paper for food assistance now. That's good for cutting down fraud, but they can pull records of what was bought on any account. That's a little too "Big Brother " too me.

The people that live in government housing in this town get frequent inspections on short notice. Management will take pics of the apartments, including personal possessions. This is not just used to record damage. They took pictures of a friends apartment, because they felt it was too messy.

The residents are not allowed to use a security chain or similar device on the doors. One friend came out of the shower and a maintenance person was in the apartment. He was still naked and very angry over the surprise. He had not asked for maintenance.

They have a list of things that they are not allowed to have in the apartments. Like propane bottles for a Coleman stove.

They are very strict about what pets (size and breed) are allowed. All animals must be spayed/neutered and have records that shots are up to date to be moved in, even a strictly indoor cat. Some people do not believe in using the full group of vaccines that some vets are used to. Many elderly people have had to give up their pets to be allowed to move in. The elderly are lonely enough already. They deserve what joy they can have.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that makes sense dragonlaurel

I guess they do lose a few basic rights when they are in programs with some guidelines. I was thinking more of getting a welfare check lol and how they spend and live

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Javamama said:
A potty chair! Now that's dedication.
Not really, Unless you are very lucky you will find that you have less control over your bladder as you age. You will have a sudden urge and if you don't answer it quickly your bladder says Piss on it and does so. I am on medication that seems to treat the problem by draining off the excess moisture shortly after I take it first thing in the morning. I don't go out in public without a diaper, mostly unused but you never know when you will actually need it. Working outside you don't want the extra bulk and heat (I am in the South) of a diaper. I consider the idea of a potty in my shed as the best idea I have ever gotten from this site. It sure beats running into the house at a minor twinge that turns out to be a false alarm or because it had been a while since I have gone. When I was on the farm I often watered the crops where no one could see me, now surrounded by neighbors a potty in a shed will be a big help~gd

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Where that garden (my allotment) is sited it is TOTALLY surrounded by other houses.

Behind a four-plex apartment building with 8 other homes adjoining the property. If you ever tried to "water" the plants, somebody would certainly notice! I am pretty sure the "bucket" was used as fertilizer on the berry plants or the fruit trees. Anyway it has always been a VERY fertile garden! :p

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I guess with not being able to visit frequently I'm almost too late to reply. When I saw the $1500/mo for a McMansion I thought it was actually a good deal. And just last week at work I had to convince a 5 yo to TRY mashed potatoes for the first time (I don't like potatoes like THAT!) but she found out she DID like them.

The main thing I realized is that I'm fortunate to live in a somewhat like-minded community. At least they think my animals are cool and I'm not the only one with livestock. We trade off canned goods. No one is going to complain when I turn part of my yard over to a garden. Ok, I DID turn part already, but next year it's going to be most of it, LOL.

And I have a dream. I dunno how far it will go, but if I CAN afford it, I plan to fence off some area just for me. It's going to have flowers and nice plants and be animal (and poop) free. If I ever REALLY hit the big-time, I'd even put in a hot tub. Though I don't need a party-sized one. Just a place to soak sore muscles under the stars. :)

And it might even be do-able. I'll probably build the fences myself. I can start some plants from seed pretty cheap. And I can always sell extras or divisions and even make a bit back, maybe. Not only that, but a lot of herbs and medicinal plants qualify as pretty in my book. Though I'll probably avoid totally toxic ones JUST IN CASE some critter finds it's way in.

I'd love a pool, but at this point a pond for the animals is a lot more practical. :)

Latest posts