What Are They Thinking...??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thing is not everyone will go instant SS

your neighbors might just start little SS ventures.
they don't have to put in hog pens, chicken coops and large gardens and learn canning overnight lol

I don't think that "not" having a chicken coop or big garden etc...you know, things you can see with the eye in a persons yard, doesn't mean they aren't becoming more SS.....they might be stockpiling canned good in the pantry supplied by someone else---not doing their own garden work to supply that.

They might be investing their money more careful knowing prices or job insecurities etc are looming worse for the future, making double payments on their mortgage if they can etc

All SS type survival things don't have to be seen in the neighborhood.

I know my friends and people I chat with in general are not taking this economy lightly. All are conserving, learning to cut costs by doing more things themselves etc....but just cause someone manicures their lawn or builds a pool doesn't mean they are clueless of the bad issues in the country right now, it doesn't make them blind at all.

I know times are going to get worse--I see it--but I also do not stop living my life. I buy the items that effect my personal life to the degree I can afford etc etc---but someone might see it as unnecessary spending etc....or think why in the world would I buy that item now when times are so bad....again, you can't assume anything about people like that in general.

I am one of those people with nice stuff....and I am a total SS type farmer gal....so I live both those lines lol

I just don't think most Americans are in denial. We all see what is coming---some will react slower to changes in their lifestyle, some might never change and don't have too---and some will fall flat and have to rebuild. All times that have happened before in this country and all have somehow survived.

Will be an interesting future...I can't wait to see how this all pans out...or if it ever does?

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, a consumer based society..Their are no easy answers,this perfect economic storm has been building for many years...I don't know how we can get out of this mess..
I fear for the young ones coming of age.I think they should all be required to learn to grow veggi,etc. before they graduate from high school for starters.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
the economy will come back, with lots of work soon
Yeah I have heard that too. My hubby (Ed Duffy....Super Genius :love ) put it this way...

"We COULD work our way out of this economic mess BUT...it would, first of all, take a good plan from our leaders. Then it would take another 12 or so election cycles sticking to the plan. What are the odds of that happening?"

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess thats true to, FarmerChick, it just doesn't seem to me like anyone around me is doing anything to prepare for trouble.
But, hey...like you said, just because i don't see it, doesn't mean its not happening..

Wifezilla...our leaders doing the right thing for that long...? ohhhhh...sure they will...sounds like fantasy island to me.!

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No it's...."hey boss, de plane de plane"
lol....

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I'd want this pool : http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/2002-08-01/Natural-Swimming-Pool.aspx
Good for relaxing and still pretty SS. We could be neighbors.
I want beautiful fruit trees, and berries, and veggies growing all over the property. Grass is fine, but it would be gazing area. Wouldn't the neighbors love to see the lambs and goats inside the fenced yard. And I'd be inhaling deep to sniff the air by your garlic :drool . I love garlic!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
those natural pools seem so cool but in my NC hot weather that would somehow become a slime bucket in no time and probably filled with snakes at some point around me hahaha

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I hear a lot of laughter too, but I know better. What you said is exactly why my fiance and I are going to be going for building an underground home and living off the grid hopefully within the next year or so.

If there are no disasters, then that is fine. We will save a ton of money not having to pay for water, heating/cooling, sewer, and electricity, and look forward to a nice retirement.

But if there is a disaster, I want it so that NOBODY can take our home away from us. Ever. I've been through that before, and I don't ever want to lose my home again to greedy son of a guns again.