What are we doing to help our neighbors?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I am soooo thankful we don't have the same problems that you do,
2dream! Years ago we did have one neighbor that was a "borrower" but we nipped that in the bud pretty quick and then they moved away! LOL! I can say without a shadow of a doubt,that all of our current neighbors are also our friends, and would be there for us in a heartbeat if we needed anything.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would have to agree with that. I had one lady at work that borrowed money off of me several times....some I just gave, some I loaned but never got repayed(about $1200 total). She used my boys, vehicle and utility trailer a couple of times to move her and her husband's household furnishings to a new residence....never said thanks or even bought the boys a lunch for working all day both times.

The word spread at work and people were using my boys to park cars at their estate auctions, to move heavy items, to help paint buildings....with barely a thanks and never an offer of money for any of their hard work. These people had husbands and a far bigger income than do I and they know that I have a single income....but that didn't matter. They saw me as a soft touch and obviously thought that this is what poor people are for....for helping the rich!

Finally, the boys told me that they don't mind helping people who need it but they were getting tired of being used like a piece of equipment and they felt taken advantage of....and I agreed!

We don't make ourselves so available anymore. The boys learned a cold, hard lesson about how the majority of the world views kindness~which is pretty sad. This hasn't killed their generosity any but it has made all of us a little more wary of "helping" other people.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Maybe there is a difference between being asked for something versus offering without being asked. I wonder if people who feel ok asking for stuff are sort of dangerous to accommodate.

I admit it always bothers me when someone takes without asking- it takes away my ability to protect myself I guess. like people standing on street corners with signs saying "will work for food" - yeah just try to offer work or even food.............. It's very easy to get jaded and learn to turn a blind eye to things.

Most people I know who want something, just let it be known they are having a problem and wait for someone to help.

Which is maybe how that man froze in his house- didn't want to ask. A dilemma...........................

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I try to help when I can. I gave my supervisor some canned pears this week, and my work buddy Dustin I try to help when ever I can. He's a single dad of 3, just bought an awesome fixer upper 4 bedroom on 5 acres. He came by yesterday and I hooked him up with some hamburger, hams, and some ground buffalo from the freezer. We save cans for a little old man down the street also. I spend most weekends either working at my grandmas or my moms.
On the other hand, I very rarely stop for folks broke down on the road. I feel for them, but there have been lots of car jackings and robberies around here using car trouble as a lure. I used to give change and small bills to homless folks when asked, but after watching one guy walk strait with my money into a liquor store, I don't very much anymore.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so sensitive that if people were to make me feel taken advantage of I would be ruined for good. I feel for you guys who have been used. I know that it hurts sometimes to help others and they should appreciate your kindness.

As for borrowing out money; I always only give money that I am in a position to give away. If I get it back great, if I don't no big loss. I never have to borrow my money to that person again.