What are you all doing to prepare for winter?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm with @Beekissed here. I love snow! But then we're not used to it, so it's exiting for us. I think the novelty will wear off over the next few years though.

And I want it for the opposite reason...because I'm used to snow and miss it when it doesn't happen. I like my seasons to hold their normal amount of precipitation and normal weather patterns, though I know that this is going to be harder and harder to experience during these times of changing weather patterns on the Earth.

Something within me feels a little restless and unsettled when the normal doesn't happen...gets me out of sync with the seasons in some way. To me, snow is just incredibly beautiful and it provides so many minerals to the soil, that I value it more than most would who live in a snowy place. Some want the first snow and then tire of it very quickly, but I tend to find each snow holds its own beauty and etches different scenes upon the land.

All of it shows the perfect artistry of God and so I revel in it and praise Him for it. :love Can't help it!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't mind the snow-when I have things under control. But, I'm still so far behind that I don't want any cold and snow yet. That being said, I can't control the weather. We got snow today, and it's going to get cold.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well......it stopped about 4 hrs & 2.5" later. Couple hrs later, melting...couple hrs later and now it's freezing! Predicted 28-30 days & 18 nights for next two days. Plus, wind chills predicted to drop those another 5-10 degrees. After that, back into mid 40s. Last week it was 55-60 all week. GEESH !

Weather had 2 fronts coming in --the cold from north & the rain from south. I was sitting on the edge of the system lines. The rain moved 50 miles SE and the cold front hurried, to arrive about 6 hrs early. So, instead of cold rain with possible "flake or two", dusting at most, we suddenly got this 2.5". It was a shock. I was prepared with ample feed, hay, bedding, shelters and all that because of cold & rain coming. I just wasn't prepared for snow.

This is wet & messy, not pretty & fluffy. Yeah, we'll all make out just fine. ;)

Sumi, water us bad, damaging, too.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@sumi are you sure you aren't in Texas? :lol: That is what we have had for the last month. We are high and dry, but low areas got hammered.

mcjam

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I know I am jumping in at the end of the season, but just wanted to note that around these parts there are just two seasons, Winter and Getting Ready for Winter. We are now about to leave the first season and enter the second, which means just about all we do is Getting Ready For Winter. Now I am planning my garden, going through seed catalogs. I have already started some celeriac and celery seed and a few early tomato plants to grow in big pots to transplant in Mid May under a plastic tent for July tomatoes.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm hoping that I'll have all of my wood for next winter by the end of April. That would help so much!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I like to get in wood early also and each year we get further and further towards that goal. Early spring is a great time to get in wood and let it be curing out for winter...not hot yet, no bugs to bother ya, no snakes out yet and the underbrush isn't as developed and obstructive to getting wood out of the woods.

My dad always waited until August to get in firewood...the hottest, buggiest, poison iviest, briarest part of the year. Just miserable. Don't know why he did that, but I never do that...it's either spring or further into the fall but never the hottest part of summer. Ick.

We have an oak guy that we buy a load from, which we mix in with our "trash" wood to get a better, longer burn on our supply. He usually doesn't start cutting firewood until Sept. so we wait on him and use that load to fill up the porch, but usually the wood shed is almost entirely full by then.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It looks like its been a while since anyone got on here but since it is getting closer to winter I will get the ball rolling.

I have been collecting cardboard toilet paper tubes (did I mention there a six of us, lol) and dryer lint to make fire starters for the wood stove. I have also been complaining all summer for my husband to get some wood for this winter. Last winter we waited too long and I was out on cold days collecting sticks. I will probably end up having to buy it from someone before winter. I will probably put some plastic over the windows too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will throw a WELCOME WINTER party!

You and me both, sistah! I'd take a hard freeze right now and run (nekkid) through it if I didn't have to slosh through mud anymore! I'm so stinkin' sick of mud, and humidity, and skeeters, and whining goats, and weeds, and a yard I can't mow cuz I don't have a pontoon mower.... Geeze, can I think of anything else to whine about???

When you live where I live - south of Houston - there's not much winter to prepare for!

'Bout the most I do is get about 5 or 6 big round bales for the critters.