What are you all doing to prepare for winter?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here in VA we do get a winter! Generally mild when compared to more inland areas -- (northern folks would say we have little more than their early summer weather;)). BUT since we have such unpredictable winters, you prepare. Some years not more than an inch of snow once or twice, some years a foot at one time. You can feel pretty certain there will be some weeks of freeze that impacts your water troughs & hoses -- primarily Jan & Feb.

So, I check out all the insulation on pipes, have a few Xtra hoses, good extension cords for heated tubs, shelters ready in all pastures used. Of course, bring in enough hay for 4-7 months (we never know!). Always needed Dec-Mar.

Make sure I have gas for generator. Can easily get too grader blade on tractor, have extra salt for steps at house, hoe & shovels at hand, etc. OH, I keep a few extra tarps around. Clean out all extra grain cans which are not heavily used in summer...fill them for cold weather. Xtra water only containers to carry HOT water to those who get it.

For self -- review long johns, boots, etc. Time to look at second hand for a couple more pair of ski pants....these work great when out feeding in cold. Lightweight, great insulation, easy to wash, etc.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are right about that! That's why I would get excited about a hard freeze, lol. Then I'd have wet, dry and ice! (but, I know to be careful what I wish for cuz ice around here is a really big, bad deal. We are so not prepared for that!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WooHoo, party...A friend and I are wanting to have a cook out with friends and family, not sure if its at my place or the park. Its been a really cool August (for Arkansas) anyway with an unheard of amount of rain. It's looking like a tropical rainforest. I've never seen a August so green and lush.

The last time I remember such a cool summer, about 40 years ago, it was a really cold and snowy winter. Surely with global warming we don't have to worry about that however. I do want to get some wood ready for whatever possibility and make sure we are stocked up on staples, beans, flour, coffee, etc...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WooHoo, party...A friend and I are wanting to have a cook out with friends and family, not sure if its at my place or the park. Its been a really cool August (for Arkansas) anyway with an unheard of amount of rain. It's looking like a tropical rainforest. I've never seen a August so green and lush.

The last time I remember such a cool summer, about 40 years ago, it was a really cold and snowy winter. Surely with global warming we don't have to worry about that however. I do want to get some wood ready for whatever possibility and make sure we are stocked up on staples, beans, flour, coffee, etc...

Don't forget the CHOCOLATE!!!!! BROWNIES!!!! HOT CHOCOLATE!!!! CHOCOLATE ANYTHING!!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yWell, tropical Hermines is sitting right off of our coast and bringing lots & LOTS of rain to many...NC & VA. For me, plenty of rain, maybe 4", but the winds!!! About 30-40 steady, plus gusting to 50+.

In a way, it is a prelude to winter preparedness. Sure shows you and weak spots in a roof or building, even some fences. Take heed, I tell myself & repair NOW, not in 30 degree cold. Hmmm.

With this storm front we have been given lower temps of low to mid 70s. NICE -- since we've been in 90s and going back there next week. No A/C needed --plus, it's cool enough to do some cooking which hasn't been done due to heat. I may even render some of the lard from my just butchered & packaged pigs! :old

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - and a week ago I was worried about that system coming here... Hang on and stay safe!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have our first frost advisory tonight. I'll be covering the tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, squash, beans.... heck, everything except the kale and asparagus are at risk.

Gotta finish putting together the greenhouse soon; it looks like an early winter here-- and maybe a hard one.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! Does it sound silly that I'm a tiny bit jealous? I'm so tired of heat, heat, heat (and mud, mud, mud...) Hope you get the greenhouse finished!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! Does it sound silly that I'm a tiny bit jealous? I'm so tired of heat, heat, heat (and mud, mud, mud...) Hope you get the greenhouse finished!

One winter would cure you of what ever jealously you have. Face it. We are Southern Magnolias.