What are you all doing to prepare for winter?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, 5-7 days of facing a foot of snow on the ground to carry 5 gal jugs of HOT water to animals who have frozen water will sure make you wish it were hot....then do it again at night.:lol: You may not know that snow is slippery...:lol:

I hate snow -- except on a postcard -- year round 60 @night & 75-80 days would be optimum for me. :celebrate

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya know.. we had a hard winter about 5 years back, and I DID carry hot water out to the critters two - three times a day. At least I wasn't slogging through mud to do it!

But, realistically I know I would HATE that kind of winter. Sometimes ya get to pick your poison...and for now... I'll take mud, heat, humidity and hurricanes.... for now.

Retirement may entail a move offa the coast.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well nights are definitely cooler here to remind me we need WOOD after all this is our only heating source. Winters aren't usually too bad in Arkansas but still gets frosty and a few hard freezes with occasional snow. I need to start buying plastic for the windows (no storm windows here). I'm thinking maybe we need some electric blankets too. I'm not happy with the chicken tractor my pullets are in so maybe something bigger and better for them for those cold nights. My cockerels will be going to freezer camp soon. Maybe a few this week.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We bought an electric mattress pad a few years back. We enjoy it so much more than an electric blanket...which to me can be stifling. Ours has individual temp controls for each side of the bed and shuts off automatically after 10 hours. Love, love, love it! We don't even use heat at night because we're so toasty.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We used to have a baffled water bed before we moved here 21+ years ago. The heated water was great to sleep on, and the bed was so comfortable. I could never put a water bed in this old farmhouse though. With the slanted floors, one side would be 8" and the other would be 2". And, one night the whole thing might crash through to the cellar!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OOOOOhhhhh.I have one of those mattress pads. LOVE it! Especially since you can turn it onahead & get into a warm bed...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since we had to sell our great big oversized furniture in order to fit into our dinky doublewide, I bought us adjustable beds with massage. I had a king size pure latex foam rubber mattress and wouldn't let the man who bought our furniture have it. I measured and marked both sides, cut the ticking, and with my trusty bread knife-cut it in half to fit our new adjustable beds! Nothing like a good massage as we drift off to sleep.

We were talking about winter........I love to sleep cold, snuggled under quilts.