BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Got half a bushel of peaches today so getting up early and starting :D

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Apple Pie Jam

I gathered the apples from our tree in the yard, cut, cored, and peeled them, cooked the jam, got the canner set-up, filled 6 pint jars. As I pulled the 7th out of the hot water to fill it, I dropped it on the counter. It shattered.:barnie I don't think any glass got into the other filled jars, but couldn't be sure. Sooo, I cleaned up the glass, dumped out all the filled jars, washed them, went back out to gather more apples, repeated the whole process. I did get 7 pints of jam, but what a waste. At least the apples were free.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Awww, dang! At least the apples were free though. So, does apple pie jam just have apple pie seasoning in it?

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The recipe called for cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, but I don't see why you couldn't use apple pie spice instead.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Canned 14 pints of boneless chicken and 1 pint of broth. Also froze more broth in 2 cup portions.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
summer squash & mint jelly
I thought summer squash turned to mush when home canned. Do you have a recipe that keeps it a bit firm? Thank you in advance!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Spaghetti sauce. I had 51 tomatoes on the counter, gave 3/4 of them to a tomato-less buddy, more to pick from the garden.

I always just froze sliced up summer squash. I too, thought it would be mush if you canned it. Bugs wiped mine out this year...again.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I caned 10 pints of salsa! Only about 100 more to go! LOL

We use salsa for everything but this small batch is hubbies... He likes it more hot than the rest of us... I grew a few red chillies for his this year and it turned out great looks like I'm going to have a load more hot peppers to dry out for the next year or two as well so I won' t have to grow the hot peppers for a while again... only thing I use them for is his salsa and put a touch of them in chilli...

I'm hoping to get out to the farmers auction this week and pick me up some more tomatoes, green peppers and corn... I got another garden bed finished up and hope to get one more done for next year If I keep expanding I'm hoping to not need to go to the auction anymore... but in the mean time it's actually cheaper than trying to grow them myself at times... LOL We had a bad wild rabbit attack on our garden this year and didn't get a single salad... along with wild birds eating all (and I mean ALL) my wheat I planted... Not to mention the bugs and my stupid chickens tearing up half my pepper plants when they found a way around the fence into the gardens for about an hour they were in dust bath heaven... well until big mama came at them with a broom and locked them in their coop a few days as pay back...

I did finally get around to making and canning some blackberry syrup for the kiddos milk (6 pints) and some jam for our bagels (10 half pints)... Yummm I may do another batch soon as the kiddos have already went through half of the syrup... It was a great year for the berries and we got a ton! We froze those though.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
snapshot said:
k15n1 said:
summer squash & mint jelly
I thought summer squash turned to mush when home canned. Do you have a recipe that keeps it a bit firm? Thank you in advance!
First time for me.

I cut it into strips, packed it cold, poured boiling water in, 1/2" headspace, and cooked it at 10 psi for 45 min. I didn't have a recipe, so I based my time on the asparagus data from the USDA, which calls for hot packing and 35 minutes at 10 psi. I added 10 minutes to account for the cold packing. If I did it again, I'd slice and cut it into 1" pieces. See, the squash bleeds when you cut it and by packing strips, you're in danger of the water not cirrculating around all of the pieces. If 3 strips stick together, the timing is all wrong and it's not safe. BTW, this isn't a tested recipe, so use your judgement.

The resulting squash look quite soft, but I think it'll be fine for soup, etc. One jar didn't seal, so I'll try it out tonight.