WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
Anna Raven, please give details for your canned fries and how they are prepared after opening. Have 5 lbs potatoes waiting.
Oh. I sliced the potatoes for fries (3/8"?) Raw packed them in quarts. Added boiling water to 1". Add 1tsp salt per quart jar. Pressure canned them at 11pounds (I"m near sea level, adjust for your altitude) for, um.... however long you do potatoes.

To use:
remove from the jar, drain off the water. Let dry on a towel. Then deep fry like you would french fries.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today was 7 quarts of chicken stock, 8 pints of chicken stock, and 8 pints of green beans. Finally canned all 20 pounds of green beans I bought Sunday. (Better late than never.)

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks AnnaRaven! Bought 10 more lbs of gold something potatoes on sale. Got to get out the wide mouth jars. Yeah. Picked almost all my tomatoes last night- frost warning and they were right so will be canning about 20 lbs as they go from green to red.

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Canned 33 quarts of pear sauce. Still had 2-1/2 five gallon buckets of pears left but decided that I didn't want to do any more pears so I "gifted" them to another family on freecycle. They were also going to make pear sauce and pear jelly.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Miss! Congratulations for starting to can meat!!!!! I believe that will be a skill that is in great demand in the near future! Not that it isn't now!!!!!!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Seven quarts of turkey in broth. Only one didn't seal. My first time canning meat. :woot
Congrats!!!

I did my first beef a while back. Got a great deal and canned up 6 quarts. Whoot!

g

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Canned up 6 qts and 1 pint of sweet potatoes in turkey broth for soups. Had some honking huge sweets and a turkey carcass and misc. veggie scraps frozen and neeeded room in the freezer. I didn't parboil the taters and just added an extra 10 minutes, all sealed and look great. Hopefully will not harm anyone by skipping that step. Still have a bunch of sweet potatoes left.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
Canned up 6 qts and 1 pint of sweet potatoes in turkey broth for soups. Had some honking huge sweets and a turkey carcass and misc. veggie scraps frozen and neeeded room in the freezer. I didn't parboil the taters and just added an extra 10 minutes, all sealed and look great. Hopefully will not harm anyone by skipping that step. Still have a bunch of sweet potatoes left.
I think it's OK to add to processing times. As long as you used a pressure canner, it's probably OK. Really starchy vetgables, like potatoes can suck up a lot of moisture, but I doubt that'd be a problem in soup w/ a few potato chuncks.