WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blackberry jam no seeds only 4 half pints. @ Moolie I used my antique glass lids and they look so nice.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not today, but yesterday - I canned garbanzo beans, and some carnitas (slow cooked, and shredded pork), and then the broth left from cooking the pork, and some chicken broth that was taking up room in the freezer.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
Blackberry jam no seeds only 4 half pints. @ Moolie I used my antique glass lids and they look so nice.
Yay! :)

I love my glass lids, they look so pretty all canned up full of good things, and they are infinitely reusable.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
Corn Woman said:

I love my glass lids, they look so pretty all canned up full of good things, and they are infinitely reusable.
Can you re-use the rubber rings? Have you tried them with tattler rubber rings?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
moolie said:
Corn Woman said:

Can you re-use the rubber rings? Have you tried them with tattler rubber rings?
Mine are a specifically Canadian jar size (GEM size, which takes 78mm lids) that is no longer made but I can still purchase GEM sized rubber rings (as well as flat metal lids) at Canadian Tire .

BUT the rubber rings are totally reusable, I do it all the time--just flip 'em over for the next batch. Often I can't tell which side was used last time so I just wing it, and I've rarely had a seal failure with the glass lids.

I also have a few Tattler lids that I picked up this past year, but the rubber rings that came with them are WAY narrower than my GEM rings, so I'm not sure they'd work with glass lids :hu

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
These are my GEM jars, 2 shapes for pints and 1 shape for quarts:
improvedgem.jpg

the rubber rings I buy and some home-canned Salsa
viceroy.jpg
improvedgem-salsa.jpg

Peaches!
peached2012-2.jpg

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Do those rubber rings contain latex? I wonder, because for those with latex allergies, you'd think it unsafe. Wonder if the Tattler rubber rings are latex free?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I don't know about Tattlers, but I am sure you could find out on their website.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah, just thought someone might know off the top of their head. :hu Guess not.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It doesn't say on the box, so I don't know for sure what they are made of. But they are called "Viceroy Rubber Fruit Rings" so presumably they are made of rubber.

No idea on the Tattlers either :hu