1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out this member patch of earth- Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Discussion in 'The Homestead Kitchen - Recipes Etc' started by Acre of Blessings, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Jul 19, 2017
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

I thought my old vinegar pickles recipes were lost forever but guess what my wife is canning today? Bread and butter pickles using my old recipe that she has in her "secret folder". I snapped a pic of my old pickle recipes that I now remember she made my type up for her - I got a picture snapped before she shooed me out of the kitchen.

Both of these are good vinegar garlic dill and bread and butter pickle recipes (expecially the bread and butter pickles - 1st recipe). I used these for many years before I switched to fermented for garlic dill sours but my wife still continues to make the bread and butter pickles :)

Hope you can blow this picture up to the point where you can read it.
    IMG_20170719_151448890.jpg

BTW I forgot to add it's hard telling how old the bread and butter pickles recipe is. I remembered as a kid, my aunt cracking open a jar of these when we would visit her in the winter. My aunt has since long passed but i contacted my cousin (her daughter) and she had her mom's recipes and gave it to me. We suspect my aunt got it from her mother but we can't verify that. Make a batch and I don't think you'll won't be disappointed.

Here's a picture of the bread and butter pickles fresh out of the water bather that my wife canned earlier today. Can't wait to bust into a jar or two. Patience... must have patience. IMG_20170719_184532874.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    sumi likes this.
  2. Jul 19, 2017
    CrealCritter

Yeah have a look here --> http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sour-pickles-2/#0 there's some really good info there expecially the user comments at the bottom of the page. I may be showing my age... But do you remember the neighborhood stores of days long gone and the big barrel of whole dill sours they had where you opened the lid and fished out the one you wanted with a pair of tongs? Those dill sours we're always in a oak barrel :)

3. Jul 19, 2017
    CrealCritter

I'm in southern ILLINOIS. Yes I did built the canning jars shelf. Kind of cool story behind that shelf actually... I own a wood mizer portable saw mill and drag logs home to saw all the time.

One day my wife called me into the kitchen and said looking out the kitchen window, see that big log there? Who's log is that? I said mine and then she said do you see what I see - a tall canning jars shelf made out of that log? I said no I see building materials. She said exactly... Building materials to build me a canning jars shelf.

So the next morning I cut the log up on the sawmill into 1 bys and built the shelf to her specifications right there where it's pictured. The log was white pine - It was green / wet / not kiln or air dried and very heavy when I built it there 4 years ago. It's still just the same as it was when I built it but now it's loaded down with the canning jars of goodness.

I learned a long time ago... if momma ain't happy, no one is happy :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    tortoise, baymule and Beekissed like this.
  4. Jul 19, 2017
    CrealCritter

I'm working on it... These kind of things take a little time and charm but I should have it later today.

sumi likes this.
  5. Jul 19, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

I think you wife has a new fan! I like the way she thinks. :D Excellent skills, BTW! She's a blessed woman indeed.

tortoise and crealbilly like this.
  6. Jul 20, 2017
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

I love the canning shelves too! Your wife is one busy lady and real smart too. The way she nicely told you that she needed canning shelves is pure genius.

tortoise and crealbilly like this.
  7. Jul 25, 2017
    lcertuche

lcertuche Almost Self-Reliant

I found this on facebook.[​IMG]

8. Jul 26, 2017
    Wannabefree

Wannabefree Little Miss Sunshine

9 pints of blackberry jelly today. Liked to have NEVER strained all those dern seeds out :he but it's done and I can breathe so...

Hinotori likes this.
  9. Jul 26, 2017
    CrealCritter

What no pictures? - we must have some eye candy -:lol

Wannabefree likes this.
  10. Jul 26, 2017
    Wannabefree

Wannabefree Little Miss Sunshine

Nope, can't get pics to load from my phone sadly...I have some awesome pics on my phone too that I'd love to be able to share but...Nope :(