WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
just emptied the canner and they are all pinging as I type. 18 pints of pintos. when you have 4 kids anything to make things easier is a no brainer.
with the 24 qts of dry goods and 7 pints of stew tomatoes that puts us at 49 for the day. gotta pick more green beans, okra, peppers, cucumbers, squash, and black berries tomorrow. Im sure we will find something to put in jars from all that mess. it's bedtime!

20200711_231140.jpg

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I canned 42 pin
just emptied the canner and they are all pinging as I type. 18 pints of pintos. when you have 4 kids anything to make things easier is a no brainer.
with the 24 qts of dry goods and 7 pints of stew tomatoes that puts us at 49 for the day. gotta pick more green beans, okra, peppers, cucumbers, squash, and black berries tomorrow. Im sure we will find something to put in jars from all that mess. it's bedtime!

View attachment 14297
I canned 42 pints of pinto beans. Neighbor asked why I canned them and not store dry. I said they last longer canned than just dry storage.
I will be canning as much as possible with all this crap going on. At least I know how its canned and whats in it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made salsa today. Got 2 quarts and 5 pints.

It's not canning, but i am dehydrating cantaloupe. I planted Amish Melons and they smell so good when ripe. The vines are producing! We can't eat them all, have given some away. Dehydrating thin slices makes a good snack. I call it Cantaloupe Jerky. LOL I vacuum sealed several packages, got more to do!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I canned 42 pin

I canned 42 pints of pinto beans. Neighbor asked why I canned them and not store dry. I said they last longer canned than just dry storage.
I will be canning as much as possible with all this crap going on. At least I know how its canned and whats in it.

that to me sounds strange as dry beans here i store in large glass or plastic containers and they keep for quite a long time in those even stored at room temperature. i do have to make sure they are well dried before i put them in those jars, but otherwise i don't have to do anything else to them. we're not far enough south that i have bean beetle issues and have to freeze them for a few days first.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that to me sounds strange as dry beans here i store in large glass or plastic containers and they keep for quite a long time in those even stored at room temperature. i do have to make sure they are well dried before i put them in those jars, but otherwise i don't have to do anything else to them. we're not far enough south that i have bean beetle issues and have to freeze them for a few days first.
Last couple times I kept dry beans in a glass container they went stale. Cooked and cooked them. They never softened up. So I can them. Each pint is just perfect for one meal and keeps for years. I dont eat them fast enough when stored dry for them nit to go stale. It can take me a year ir more to eat a large bag so maybe thats why they got stale on me. Canning just makes it easier and they wont get wasted.

Last edited:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I canned 5 quarts of green beans yesterday, made a double batch of pickle relish, and a batch of chow chow relish. The relishes had to set over night. I am going to can them when I get home from work tonight.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last couple times I kept dry beans in a glass container they went stale. Cooked and cooked them. They never softened up. So I can them. Each pi t us just perfect for one meal and keeps for years. I dont eat them fast enough when stored dry for them nit to go stale. It can take me a year ir more to eat a large bag so maybe thats why they got stale on me. Canning just makes it easier and they sont get wasted.

yes, as they get older they can take a longer time to cook but that doesn't bother me, it just is how they are. they don't taste bad when cooked.

Latest posts