WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've known Bee for over a decade now. And, I respect her judgement. She speaks from decades of experience. There are so very many practices pertaining to gardening, animal husbandry, and other homesteading practices that fall into the "they say" or.... "It must be done that way, b/c that's just the way it is". or... "That's the way it's always been." I'm intrigued by the tomato slice in the corn, and just might try it some time. For now, I will continue freezing any extra corn. BUT, you can bet that when the SHTF... not if! But WHEN... If Jesus has not taken me out of this sorry excuse for civilization by then, I will be following her practice of tomato slice on top of the corn. And, I can't wait until she publishes her green bean results. Bee, please be sure to share those results.

Other "they say" stuff that I find absolutely laughable:

Never give corn or scratch grains to poultry in the summer. One fool posted last week: If you do that, you will overheat your birds, and they will cook from the inside out.

Always give cracked corn to your chickens before they go to roost in the winter. It produces heat. (Obviously more than chicken feed, which is balanced nutrition, and made mainly of corn... BECAUSE THEY SAY SO.) A calorie is a calorie!

Never give your chickens egg shells. It will turn them into egg eaters. If you do give them egg shells, you must pulverize the shells or you will turn them into egg eaters. If you do give your egg shells to your chickens, you must sterilize the shells, or your chickens will die of some horrific disease. Never feed eggs to chickens, b/c they will then turn into egg eaters.

Fermented feed is dangerous b/c it can poison your birds.

Keep your chicken coop warm in the winter. Close it up tight to keep the heat in.

And, what I find to be the ultimate in foolishness: Brooding chicks: They must start with brooder temp at 90 - 95* the first week, and decrease temp 5*/week until the chicks are down to 70*. They must be fully feathered (including top of head) before ever putting them outside. I swear, some folks get their first pullet eggs out of the brooder!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will assume that you were aiming that toward me. I'm sorry you felt harassed. That was certainly not my intention. Rather, I would prefer people not catch botulism, and it is a topic that I personally felt was important. You said it yourself, we come here to talk about "different methods we've tried or didn't try." That's the last I'm going to comment on this thread.

Please don’t stop commenting on this thread. A difference of “how it’s done” is just that, a difference. Your posts are informative and valued.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
picked more tomatoes this morning so have been turning them into juice. going to be a long evening as i hope i can get the rest of them done before tonight is over. simmering the first batch for juice, will do the last four buckets as chunks. much easier today for processing after i talked to Mom about keeping the rotten ones out of the buckets. :)

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't stop posting, just realize that SOME DO IT DIFFERENTLY. It may or may not be right.

My grandparents canned EVERYTHING by WB. That was all they had. Most lived into their 90s....a couple died from heart attacks but, all ate the food. LOL WBC can take way longer for some things and that helps get the temps up where they need to be in center of jars/foods.. Some tomatoes are high acid...that's why used.

That post was not, IMO, aimed at anyone -- just a statement of their own ways of doing and why. I also appreciate your pointing out the extreme threats of being sure to can with the knowledge of today's methods.

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow. This thread sure has gone to the dogs. I was going to post about what I've been canning, but after reading some of the comments made to Bee (a long time canner), I think I'll pass. I sure don't want any panties to get in a wad because I might be canning it wrong.

Be kind ladies & gents. You never know when things said in anger were the last words spoken.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I told my DH that I may be looking for a new pressure canner for next year. He can't understand why and says that if I don't like the one the neighbor gave me, there is another one that came with the house in the basement. This from the man who had to have a new circular saw for $500, while he has 3 already in the shop.

The canner the neighbor gave me is OK. The bottom is slightly bulging so it doesn't quite sit level. The emergency release plug seems to be wonky, it holds pressure but the plug somehow got pushed in, I think it should sit flush with the top. I do need to try to clean out the stem for the weight, I don't get a nice steady rocking from it like my mom used to get, it has a slower hiss/stop/hiss/stop/hiss/stop. I know it is reaching pressure and holding it, just would like it to be better. And, it is small. It only holds 6 quarts at a time.

The canner in the basement is similar to what I have, only I didn't see the weight. I will need to buy a new seal, so I will need to figure out what size/type it is. It doesn't have a rack for the bottom either.