WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hubby hates mushrooms. I love them
Same here. 🙇‍♀️

And, I prefer canned green beans but he prefers frozen. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Oh well.

Yesterday I canned chicken for the first time! Love this canner!
43777A52-7CF0-4D3F-8EAE-3CEE2F85F74D.jpeg
2DD9E6F3-B193-4906-AB39-8B59ADBA2D2B.jpeg
23CC6C13-9970-4736-8F30-3C0E3AB71C66.jpeg

Plan for today is mandarin oranges.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well one of the chicken jars didn’t seal, so I put that one in the fridge. I tasted it at lunch time, and it was quite good, even without salt. Maybe a little dry for eating straight. But probably fine for using in recipes.

I don’t have canning salt, and I read that regular salt isn’t recommended because it has additives. My Himalayan Pink salt has no additives, but it naturally contains minerals. Mr. Google is giving me half and half use it-don’t use it answers. Do any of you ever use Himalayan Pink salt? Or should I just go buy some canning salt for next time?

5E02F826-08AF-4121-838A-2ABCE9076902.jpeg

Did my mandarin oranges today. I don’t think I will be inclined to do them again. I’m too OCD about removing the pith and any other stringies I could get off. It took me two hours standing there fiddling with them! I decided to only do one of the two 3# bags I had bought.

But, no worries about the other bag! I found a recipe for orange jelly, using just the juice that I am eager to try. 🤗

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Its the anti-caking agents in regular salt that can cause discoloration and precipitates. Kosher salt has anti-caking usually that can discoloring.

I use plain sea salt for most cooking. It does not have anti-caking. I did use some Hawaiian red salt for a few jars of tuna once. Didn't notice any differences when we used them. I'd ran out of salt and had that.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...I don’t have canning salt, and I read that regular salt isn’t recommended because it has additives. My Himalayan Pink salt has no additives, but it naturally contains minerals. Mr. Google is giving me half and half use it-don’t use it answers. Do any of you ever use Himalayan Pink salt? Or should I just go buy some canning salt for next time?

the iodized salt may discolor some things but if you don't mind that happening you can use it. we've never used it for me to know what things to avoid or to know about so that's as far as my own knowledge goes. :) some research on-line should give more details on the issue. i'm tight on time myself right now so i'll leave it to you. ;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If anyone needs canning lids, check your local Dollar Tree. I just went in for some individual packed snacks & raw ACV with mother. So vinegar was $1.25, 16oz...way cheaper than big box stores....and walking out, noticed the reg size lids, on hanging strips, on groc aisle. $1.25 a 10 pack. Dollar general is $2.99 a 12 pack...some stores are $3.99.

I'm loaded from 2yr ago buys BUT -- excellent buy. They look good, perfect ring, plenty thickness of band. FYI.