WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I canned 8 quarts of pears yesterday. They were store bought but at 4 pounds for 99 cent you can't go wrong. I should fill another 8 today.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have I mentioned that I HATE peeling tomatoes? Yes, I do the thing with the hot water and then the ice water but it's still a pain in the butt when you have this many tomatoes to do but by golly, I'm determined that none of these tomatoes will go to waste so there' more diced tomatoes and more salsa (all of which requires PEELED tomatoes) going in the canner today.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
Have I mentioned that I HATE peeling tomatoes? Yes, I do the thing with the hot water and then the ice water but it's still a pain in the butt when you have this many tomatoes to do but by golly, I'm determined that none of these tomatoes will go to waste so there' more diced tomatoes and more salsa (all of which requires PEELED tomatoes) going in the canner today.
Then try the thing where you FREEZE the tomatoes and just dip quickly in warm water. I have switched over to this method.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
farmerlor said:
Then try the thing where you FREEZE the tomatoes and just dip quickly in warm water. I have switched over to this method.
Hmmmmm, I'd still have to peel each tomato (good golly I'm whiney today!!!) but at least I wouldn't have to keep water boiling most of the day while I heat tomatoes. I'll have to give it a try, ......next year. LOL! Anymore tomatoes this year are going to be steam juiced and milled and canned as sauce. This old woman is just about DONE for the year.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No canning today..Had to pick everything due to freeze warning tonight. The chickens finally got to go into the garden today. Great day!:) I am ready to be done.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I made three recipes of soup today, but there were not enough hours in the day to can them all. Had to put the last 18 jars in the fridge and will slowly warm them tomorrow until they are hot again and then process. I have done this before, and so far, so good.

So, when I get it all done, there will be:

24 quarts of vegetable beef soup (from here: http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Canning/soup-vegetable.html but I left out the broccoli and cauliflower.

11 quarts of pork and beans from here: http://www.amishshop.com/hazel-doc/amishcookingrecipes/canningandfreezing/porkandbeans.htm

and 12 quarts of split pea soup

I have enough veggies left over to do another 24 quarts of a less complex recipe, with lima beans, corn, peas, ground beef and potatoes. A festival of carbohydrates !

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
28 quarts of non tomato based vegetable soup and 9 pints of mixed fruit sauce (apple, peach, pear).

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I canned 4 big jars o tomato sauce the other day and 10 1/2 pint jars of Bruschetta. I labeled them yesterday and put them away.

I found that some of our tomatoes peel easily last year. I saved the seeds and so far most of them are still easy to peel. No hot water bath before peeling. I just slice them up and the peel comes off easily. If it doesn't, set it aside and chop it up into little tiny pieces.
I am saving the seeds of the easy peels again this year. Maybe I'll have somthing in a couple of years.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Yesterday 13 pints of green beans (finally got them for under a dollar a pound) and 21 pints of carrots. My hands are yellow from peeling !

Have had some positive reviews of the split pea soup. It was liquidy when I put it in, and solid when I took it out. Hope it is safe.