WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I learned it here! But it felt good that you said that...thank you!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I wish I could, but I don't remember it. I more or less made it up as I went along. I do recall that I used as a baseline a recipe for spring roll filling, with ground pork (I think, may have been turkey), carrots, celery, ginger, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, dried mushrooms, soy sauce, sesame oil, cabbage, garlic, beef broth...and that's all I can remember. I hardly ever write things down, which I know is a huge fault, but I just wing it with most recipes and put a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I bet if you found a spring roll filling recipe that sounded yummy to you, then made it into a soup, you would be happy !

Disorganized person....sorry.

ETA: I remembered hoisin sauce....

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Eh thats ok. I am the same....that is why I rarely post recipes! I hate recipes :/

Your soup sounds yummy though, I may have to try it!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ldy, I make that diet cabbage soup as well. I love all the veggies and if I am not mistaken most of the veggies fall in the low carb category. Anyways, how do you can it and for how long? Do you cook it first or just let the pressure canner do the work? Please let me know.

thanks gina

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thanks for the grace, Dace. (See, if you pronounced your name differenty, that would rhyme !)

Gina: I cooked it first, because I added dried beans. I cooked the beans about halfway, in generic V8 juice, then added the veggies, cooked about ten minutes, having added enough beef stock to cover BEFORE I put the cabbage in (last). The cabbage was barely cooked so that it wouldn't be mush in the jar. Processed for 90 minutes because of the beef stock.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Canning black beans this weekend.

During Winter I try to can enough of the various beans to last us for a year. That gives us a nice stash of canned beans in the pantry to cook with and we never have to buy those commercially canned things.

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry that I have been gone so long, but I am sure glad to see that this thread is still going. WOW!! You all have a lot to chat about LOL

Well, with canning season right around the corner.....I thought it would be fit to come on back over here to SS and see what everyone is up to. Glad to see the new comers too. Welcome!!

Don't forget to get your canners in order and be sure to check the rubber seal to make sure that is is working properly.

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey guys have been canning potatoes 40 pounds actually. This was my first attempt at potatoes and have grown in wisdom. For any newbees here is some advice. don't blanch and cut bigger than you would normally use fresh. my normal cutting sizes and blanched batches turned mushy great if you want mashed potatoes though. for potatoe salads and frying no good go a size or two bigger. the long canning time cooks them and so it was soooo easy and quick to make a batch of potatoe salad in a jip. And you would never know they were canned. Also had a problem with my canner it would not build up pressure. looked at the seal and not dry and no cracks so I thought it was my new stoves (gas) flame or burner size. I found a hardware store that sold my seal and tomy saprise it wasmuch bigger than mine. so mine had shrunk and that was the problem. It was to loose.
Other than that I have been dreaming of this years garden and harvest so I can can lol. I wounder if there is a 12 step program for canning addicts. On second thought I would not go I have no problem, I can stop whenever I want to I just don't want to:D

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@thefunnyfarm said:
Hey guys have been canning potatoes 40 pounds actually. This was my first attempt at potatoes and have grown in wisdom. For any newbees here is some advice. don't blanch and cut bigger than you would normally use fresh. my normal cutting sizes and blanched batches turned mushy great if you want mashed potatoes though. for potatoe salads and frying no good go a size or two bigger. the long canning time cooks them and so it was soooo easy and quick to make a batch of potatoe salad in a jip. And you would never know they were canned. Also had a problem with my canner it would not build up pressure. looked at the seal and not dry and no cracks so I thought it was my new stoves (gas) flame or burner size. I found a hardware store that sold my seal and tomy saprise it wasmuch bigger than mine. so mine had shrunk and that was the problem. It was to loose.
Other than that I have been dreaming of this years garden and harvest so I can can lol. I wounder if there is a 12 step program for canning addicts. On second thought I would not go I have no problem, I can stop whenever I want to I just don't want to:D
I love canning our fresh potatoes from our garden each year. We probably wind up with 200+ lbs. or more and I am in the kitchen for a week or 2 just canning potatoes, but I love it. Yes, I agree with smaller potatoes = mashed potatoes and bigger potatoes for salads.....and like you said they don't taste canned. Add some melted butter and :drool

I am so ready for planting the garden this year.....I really have Spring fever even though its only 2 days away lol. I have to go and get my seal for my canner today.....I sure hope they have one that fits :)

Happy canning Everyone

Latest posts