WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I refuse to buy that brand lid again.
Unfortunately, I ordered another case that will be delivered today. Order went in before I used them. I'll mark those lids as soon as they get here and won't use them for canning. They should work fine to just close the jars for other types of storage. But, like you, I won't purchase them again....sigh.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had the same issue with anchor hocking lids two years ago when water bath canning. That happened to one jar, and a high percentage of my jars didn't seal. I refuse to buy that brand lid again.

they've not been for sale at the stores here for some reason, maybe a regional thing. will tell Mom to avoid them if she sees them and is tempted to buy. have not had any issues with any jars bought at the stores unless they have been chipped or cracked to begin with. have only had one issue with a batch of lids that we returned for exchange and it has not been repeated since. but we only use the Ball lids now for our regular processing and then i use the budget lids for things i'm putting in the freezer.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother Thanks for posting that! It is important for me to know that stuff like that can happen.

I can get a sleeve of canning lids from the Mennonite store at a really good price, but I don't know the brand and I am not willing to risk all my hard work on an unknown like that. Maybe save any of those brand lids for WBC instead of pressure canning. I will be using only Ball or Kerr lids from pressure canning from now on.

One tip - make sure that you are not over tightening the rings. With some of the new canning lids, they are so thin that if you over tighten the ring it can cause the lid to pucker like that.

Glad to see that the jars are not broken from canning at least. Contact the manufacturer with this picture.

Sorry about the loss of the green beans for the pantry. I don't think I would reprocess them- they will get really overcooked if you do and probably turn to mush.

If I had the option of getting those lids (sold at Mennonite store) I think I'd jump on it. Consider this: The Mennonite community does A LOT of canning. I don't think they'd be using shoddy merchandise!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This:
A176F412-4646-4F51-A4F2-E676F2E2D942.jpeg

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pinto beans, white beans, and this weekend, chicken from my meat birds Im having processes.
Sometime later will be beets, peppers, green beans, and tomatoes.