WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
8 pints veg soup -- heavy on tomatoes :D -- in canner now.

I did a couple more canners of qt tomaoes, more tomato sauce, some spaghetti sauce. Also chopped and froze a few qt & gal size bags of diced peppers, peppers & onions...love them ready when I am!

Dehydrating figs now, also. In a few hrs I can remove some and replace with more. Love those things! More being harvested for Tues pick up.

Chickens are starting to run away if I approach with anything "red"....Oh, no, more tomatoes! Run! Need a pig right now. LOL

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
8 pints of tomatoes
1 quart of tomato juice
1 pint of tomato juice

Tomato city this year. I hope to can more on Saturday. We are doing green beans tomorrow. Mine did not bear much at all, and I bought two bushels to can. We are low on them, and I don't figure this is the year to have a lean pantry. I also bought 24 pounds of carrots at Costco on Tuesday. I am going to can them next week. Then, I'll have some late beans, dry beans, and more tomatoes to can.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of the things I need to "retrain" myself to do -- actually USE these canned goods. That is, don't buy -- stay away from the frozen aisles, produce, etc. Haven't filled this many jars in a few years. Home alone.

I rarely buy a tin can off the shelf....but, frozen, yes.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't usually bother trying to grow tomatoes here because of our weather. They always get blight on me. So I have to buy tomato sauce. I've noticed the canned veggie section at the store is greatly reduced. Several months ago the section was well over 20 feet long. Now it's about 12 feet and is mostly corn. The tomato section is one bay smaller as well and sauce is hard to find.

That is reason enough for people to get canning if I ever saw one.
There is a variety of tomato named New Yorker, it is determinate and produces well and fast. You might give it a look up and see if it would grow for you.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of the things I need to "retrain" myself to do -- actually USE these canned goods. That is, don't buy -- stay away from the frozen aisles, produce, etc. Haven't filled this many jars in a few years. Home alone.

I rarely buy a tin can off the shelf....but, frozen, yes.

when we cook we make big pots of things and then portion them out and put those into the freezer to eat later - can you do that with some of your canned goodies? if anything it will keep your freezer more full. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have had a fantastic garden year. It's about time! Haha, the tomatoes are staring at me. I'm canning dog food today-chicken leg quarters, meat picked off the bone, mixed with rice. Also cleaning out the freezer, tossing in various things.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't usually bother trying to grow tomatoes here because of our weather. They always get blight on me. So I have to buy tomato sauce. I've noticed the canned veggie section at the store is greatly reduced. Several months ago the section was well over 20 feet long. Now it's about 12 feet and is mostly corn. The tomato section is one bay smaller as well and sauce is hard to find.

That is reason enough for people to get canning if I ever saw one.

what i have found here is that the blights we normally get will not kill the plants before i can get a harvest. finally starting to see some color on the tomatoes.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have had a fantastic garden year. It's about time! Haha, the tomatoes are staring at me. I'm canning dog food today-chicken leg quarters, meat picked off the bone, mixed with rice. Also cleaning out the freezer, tossing in various things.

so glad things went better for you this season! :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
so glad things went better for you this season! :)
Me too!

I have 20 quarts of dog food and 1 quart of broth, canned. I have two half gallon jars of dog broth in the refrigerator. DH is the dog chef, our dogs are spoiled. LOL

I managed to pick a few Purple Hull peas and some Kentucky Wonder beans.

Latest posts