WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
28 quarts of green beans tonight

We are getting free beans tomorrow. So, hopefully there will be even more.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
when we cook we make big pots of things and then portion them out and put those into the freezer to eat later - can you do that with some of your canned goodies? if anything it will keep your freezer more full. :)

Oh, heck yeah! I always make "pots" of things, then portion into freezer "heat & eat". I just mean that I need to shop my canned up pantry FIRST, before any shopping. I have enough to go 6-9 months with buying NOTHING....food, cleaning, paper products, etc. Food? Easy 1-1.5 yrs. My freezer is full...like NO room....chest, in house upper and 2nd frig upper. I fight for room to put a gal of milk to quick chill before going into frig part. I just have to "think" pantry goods are there! Use them.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I want to stock up on flour, and vac seal it. Also need to lay up some yeast, corn meal, 6 grain flour in the freezer. Then, it's on to canning garden produce, meats as I find them in the grocer, and cooked dry beans. I hope to can some beef for stews, along with some jars of veggies. Then, it's a simple matter to open a jar of each, dump them together, and I have an instant stew. I have about 25 cockerels growing out, many of them are now in varying states of nastyness (behavior). I put all of the young pullets into the "keepers" coop last night.

Cleaning out canned goods at my Dad's house. The older stuff will go to the chickens. But, how far past the "best by" date would you want to be using canned veggies and meats? Hubby enjoyed a can of corned beef hash that was 3 years past date this morning. He hasn't died yet!!! FYI, there's home canned goods in the basement that date back to 2000! Many of them with the glass lid/rubber ring, and bail system!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, at least there's new supply of jars and rings! LOL A plus.

Picked up figs this morning as I delivered eggs.

Full dehydrator going, another one waiting -- just a touch less ripe, so tomorrow night is OK. AND I made 9 half pints of fig jam/reserves. I'll need to pick up another batch Mon, as I deliver milk.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
20200809_102056.jpg

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a crate of apples on the front porch and probably 4 more crates worth on the trees to be picked. Will be canning applesauce soon, lol.
This year I am making plain applesauce, with very little sugar. Last year I made Applesauce with cinnamon & sugar to DH's taste and we didn't eat any of it...

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a crate of apples on the front porch and probably 4 more crates worth on the trees to be picked. Will be canning applesauce soon, lol.
This year I am making plain applesauce, with very little sugar. Last year I made Applesauce with cinnamon & sugar to DH's taste and we didn't eat any of it...

I like cinnamon applesauce. Sometimes we do apple butter, too. Trees didnt produce much this year. The ones I did get had alot of worms or were rotting inside. Not sure why. After peeling and cooking only got enough for 8 pints.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Apples aren't ripe here yet our bigger apple trees arent very good though. My semi dwarf trees don't have fruit. The blossoms froze.

The Pacific crabapples have a huge crop that I'm just waiting to ripen. Too bad they are the size of a cherry pit. There are at least a dozen young trees that fruited this year as well.

Latest posts