WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Finished up with 18 qts of stock and a full gal Ziploc of fat....fattest group of chickens I've ever processed and they were cockerels! I have hereby filled every single qt jar I possess but one this year, every shelf is full to the max and underbed storage full also. Still have to get more jars to can up a sheep and possibly deer.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hopefully you can get jars. We're getting pints and quarts sporadically in stores here. Not lids though.

I've been hoping for some quarter pints so I can do some more lotion, but I'll just have to wait until what I'm using is empty.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Hopefully you can get jars. We're getting pints and quarts sporadically in stores here. Not lids though.

I've been hoping for some quarter pints so I can do some more lotion, but I'll just have to wait until what I'm using is empty.

Walmart here seems to have jars on occasion, so when I see them, I usually stick a doz. in my cart. They are the Ball canning jars that have the lids already on them, which makes it nice.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today, I finally started processing roos (should have been done 2 months ago, but... I've been busy with family matters. Did 2 today. Yielded a LOT of meat. Still have 10 to go, so will likely have to can a lot of that meat. Was just gonna do breasts and legs. But, them wings were real chunky. So... I saved them. Then, there was a lot of meat on the backs... so I saved them. Hope to do 2 - 5 birds/day until I have all the roos gone except for 1 - 2 cockerels that will be next year's breeders. Sorry to see him go. But, Goliath will be 4 years old next season. So, he'll be replaced by one of his sons.

Also picked up a huge bag of organic carrots at BJ's. At 80 cents/#, they'll produce quite a few pint jars of good eating this winter.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I make salve/lotion, I use the little 2 oz. plastic containers from dollar store. They come 10/pk, in either a square or round shape. At that price, I can't beat it. However, the lids are not secure, so they will leak if filled with liquid and tipped. But, they are great for my salve that goes in the freezer.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
It has arrived...

Attachments

• 20201231_171019.jpg
    20201231_171019.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 123

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I can't find my canning book. Online resources I have looked at give great recipes for chicken soup to can, but every one I have looked at has a link to buy a book for pressure and duration

Experts out there, can you help?