WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine are still sitting on the counter. Not only are they pretty sitting there, it feels good to look at them and know that I did that!

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It looks as though I'll have to remake my apple jelly. I read that using a juicer breaks down the natural pectin, and so even though I'm sure I followed all the OTHER directions perfectly, my juice did not come from the recommended source. I hope it can jell!

Here we are
Apples for Baking
Apple Jelly
Apple Pie Topping (one w/blueberry)
100_4412.JPG

Today I'm cleaning out a messy storage closet and turning it into my canning pantry :)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks great everyone! I need apples to hurry up and ripen here, I am so hungry for apple butter and apple pie filling :drool

debo4702

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Okay I have a question. Ok maybe more than one but here goes. My BIL gave us 6 #10 cans of fruit cocktail in light syrup. Those cans are huge! I will never eat that much if I open it. Can I recan these in pint size jars for future use? Right now they are just sitting in my carport looking at me. What else can you do with the stuff beside eating straight or jell-o. Help I hate wasting food. (guess i can feed it to the pigs):/

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
debo4702 said:
Okay I have a question. Ok maybe more than one but here goes. My BIL gave us 6 #10 cans of fruit cocktail in light syrup. Those cans are huge! I will never eat that much if I open it. Can I recan these in pint size jars for future use? Right now they are just sitting in my carport looking at me. What else can you do with the stuff beside eating straight or jell-o. Help I hate wasting food. (guess i can feed it to the pigs):/
Don't know about re-canning it but it would make some wonderful Dump Cakes!!! If you don't know what I am talking about pm me and I will tell you how I make them!!!!

I have a few questions also!!!!
1. Still looking for a good recipe to use watermelon rinds to make a Sweet Pickle(wat. rind) Relish!
2. Can you share the watermelon jelly recipe PLEASE!!!!!?
3. I made jellies and they jelled but not as firm as I was wanting, can someone tell me what to do different to make them firm!!!???

Also, I opened some of my Pomegranate/Blueberry jelly and my White Grape/Cherry Jelly and they were absolutely delicious on my home made Bratts and Hot links!!!

Thanks, have a blessed day!!! Lynn

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have recanned salsa, enchilada sauce, BBQ sauce, applesauce, pineapple and hominy. You may lose a teensy bit of texture, and I would drain some of the syrup and add some lemon so I could water bath, but it will probably work.

debo4702

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks that is what I was going to try so I hope it works.

I have heard of dump cake and love it. Thanks for reminding me on that one.

Okay made the watermelon jelly. It looks beautiful and tastes great...and I don't even like watermelon but it won't set. What did I do wrong? I followed the recipe posted here. Maybe I just need to give up on jellies. I have lots of great tasting syrup now though. :rolleyes:

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
I re-did some black rasberry jelly that did not jell a couple of years ago. I was afraid to add any pectin or sugar, so decided to just cook it,couldn't get a good test to tell when it jelled so it went way past jelly. :th

I'm not sure what it is but it will be good as a hot topping for ice cream. LOL! :drool

I had a friend that used to re-work lots of her older stuff into jams, jelly, and butters. Sadly she passed away in January at the age of 92. I sure needed her today.

Her name was Nellie and we always called her stuff, Nellie Jelly. :love

I think I better practice some more.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Reprocess it.
keep a metal tablespoon sitting in a glass of ice water, then take a half spoonful of the mix and let it cool to room temperature on the spoon. If it thickens up to the consistency I like, then I know the jam is ready. If not, I mix in a little more pectin (about 1/4 to 1/2 of another package) and bring it to a boil again for 1 minute.
re-can and seal according to recipe directions.

Also some jams can take weeks to fully set up, my apple pie jam sometimes does that and a few other unusual recipes I make do.

Latest posts