WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I managed to get 1 pint of tomato basil sauce made and a 1/2 pint of yellow pear tomato jam.... but what can I bathe them with? I hate to run my canner for just two little jars.... or is this normal?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just use a pot that will allow the 2 inches of water over the top of jars if I have small batches. It won't hurt anything to use one of your kitchen pots.

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
I just use a pot that will allow the 2 inches of water over the top of jars if I have small batches. It won't hurt anything to use one of your kitchen pots.
OH! DUH!!! Of course!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First pressure canning attempt today -- soup stock. It worked great. No asplosions or anything (although that hissing, spitting, rattling weight was a little nerve racking until I got used to it). :)

A stupid beginner mistake -- I filled the canner all the way up with water before I realized there was only supposed to be an inch and a half of water in there. Oops.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've had my new pressure canner for a couple of weeks. I used it last week to BWB applesauce. So gradually getting my feet wet. Later today, I'm taking the cover in to get the gauge checked. So when I get the urge to jump in and actually pressure can something, everything will be ready to go. No Excuses! I think the opportunity might be coming when we dig the potatoes. We have a huge crop, and don't have a good place to store them.

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
making jam today! my mother in law has a huge black berry patch, seriously this thing is like 1/4 acre. so i have lots a jam to make :)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Just finished my blueberry jam today. I don't have the nerve to buy/use a pressure canner to make "real" food in- I stick with jams and pickles mostly. Oh, I did try pickling eggs today, too! We shall see in a month how that does.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Made zinfandel wine grape jelly yesterday. Totally yummy! I had two large zipper bags of zin grapes from last year's harvest in my freezer.....