WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Holla all, I am going to be canning some jalapenos this evening. I found what looks to be a pretty good recipe, but I am not sure if it will can.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1936,154171-227200,00.html

It has the carrots and onions that my BIL mentioned to me. He eats authentic pickled Mexican stuff. But it also has other veggies. Can I water bath it because of the vinegar? Or are the veggies a problem?

Just wondering. Let me know what you think.

Gina

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That sounds pretty darned good Tankshill! I expect it would can up quite nicely. I would however, add a bit more salt and a pinch of sugar, just to be safe.

I made pickled eggs today. I can hear the happy sounds of lids 'tinking' now :)

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Salsa in BWB - but I may have messed it up. The recipe said to simmer the tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc. for 20 minutes, then add 1 cup lime juice and simmer another 10 minutes. I wasn't paying attention, and added the lime juice in the beginning with the other ingredients.

Does cooking the lime juice longer change the acid levels? or just the flavor? Is there any reason it would be unsafe?

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just finished 4 pints of Dilly Beans from the Ball Blue Book - I hope I like them!
How long should we wait before opening these to eat? It doesn't say in the book. Thanks.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
VickiLynn, not sure on your acidity issue. I hope Pat or somebody stops in soon with some answers. I skipped the jalapenos last night but sure need to try and get them done soon.

:idunno

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tomato juics , Watermelon rind pickles and dill pickels today not sure how many will get but will have fun;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
Salsa in BWB - but I may have messed it up. The recipe said to simmer the tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc. for 20 minutes, then add 1 cup lime juice and simmer another 10 minutes. I wasn't paying attention, and added the lime juice in the beginning with the other ingredients.

Does cooking the lime juice longer change the acid levels? or just the flavor? Is there any reason it would be unsafe?
The acidity level should be OK. How long did you BWB the jars and what size were they.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
VickiLynn said:

The acidity level should be OK. How long did you BWB the jars and what size were they.
It is pints and they were in the BWB for 20 minutes.