WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
Greybear23 said:
Well folks I tried my hand at making pear preserves and made 3 half pints, opened one and it was so hard I could hardly get a spoon in it, like crystallized honey or something!!! Is there any way I can fix this???? I was going to give them to my dad as he gave me the pears and said he loves pear preserves but I don't think I will unless I can fix it!!!
I have a couple of gallons of jalapeos that are red and green so I am going to make up some jalapeo jellies, will try some red this time to see how it works, will probably make more cranberry jalapeo jelly also.
I have a gallon of juice that I rendered from some red plums my sister gave me and need to make up some jellies with that!!! Any suggestions on varieties I can make here??? I really like plain plum jelly but was thinking on some other mixtures to experiment with!!
Also I have another question for the experienced people here!!! My mom has several half pints of different jellies she made last year and said she made too much and wants me to take the excess, my question is, can I take these jellies and re-jell them to mix some of the flavors or ad them to some of my jalapeo jellies for variety some way or will I just mess every thing up????
As usual, thanks so much for your gracious knowledge and wonderful help her, your humble and grateful friend in s JAM!!!! Lynn in Okla. :cool:
What was your recipe for the pears? Maybe we can help you figure out what went wrong. We need more info.
I just made Old Fashioned Southern Pears (supposedly, lol I am not southern) and they are fantastic preserves but not a thick preserve to me they are more like in heavy syrup. Perfect for ice cream. I just picked some red bartletts and am going to add spices to the recipe and boil them down longer to see if I can improve on the goodness!

I added cinnamon to my plum jam and it was an excellent and tasty addition for something different with your plums also.

Personally I would not re-can what is done, I would either dump the jars, use the jellies or give them away to grateful people :D

JMO, Have fun!
Thanks JMO. I will try the Cinnamon, how much to a batch do you use? As for the PP I think I over cooked them because the recipe I used said to cook untill thickens, I think my idea of thick was not the same as theirs, I used the recipe from cooks,co called Easy Pear Preserves !!!! Thanks everyone!!! Lynn

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use 1 heaping teaspoon, the recipe also had almond extract so the jam had a very homey, warm taste. Family really likes it.

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
I use 1 heaping teaspoon, the recipe also had almond extract so the jam had a very homey, warm taste. Family really likes it.
Thanks, you want to share the recipe??? LOL Thanks, Lynn :cool:

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Plum Jam

7 cups sugar (I used less)
5 cups course chopped, peeled plums.
1/2 cup of water (I used a tad less and added dash of almond extract)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 pkg powdered pectin
1 tsp of cinnamon

In a large skillet combine sugars, plums, water, and lemon juice. Bring to a full rolling boil stirring constantly. Stir in pectin and return to full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute. Add in cinnamon and almond extract. Skim jars if necessary. Pour into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/4" headspace, process in WB for 10 minutes at altitudes less than 1000'.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made apple pie filling tonight and apple jalapeno jam. Apples butter next!
418_100_4419.jpg

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have 4 bushels of Gala apples waiting on me, if that is a good Apple Pie Filling Recipe I would surely be grateful if you would share it, thanks, Lynn

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used this recipe and I think it is pretty tasty, I have not made it before. I used all the spices it called for (when recipe stated to add cinnamon) and the house smelled fantastic, my husband was disappointed when he got home from work and there was no pie just the smell of one :p
*eta I did not put in the apples separately in the jars as shown in tutorial, I combined the filling and the apples before loading jars, I just thought it was easier to use a chopstick to get the bubbles out of the jars rather than combining separately.

http://www.pickyourown.org/applepiefilling.htm
418_100_4420.jpg

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actually today & tomorrow are days of rest from canning. Next week I'll be busy. My plan then is to do both chicken & beef broth, pickled mixed veggies, green beans, pears, & hopefully tomato sauce & speghetti sauce IF the darn tomatoes will hurry up & ripen in time. I also want to try a fruit cocktail of mixed pears, peaches, grapes & cherries. Not to mention, anything else I can find. Then of course I have to find room to store it all.

So far this season I've done 22 qts (yes qts) of strawberry jam, a few odd jars of sweet pickle chips, relish & dills (need to do many more if I can find small cukes), 10 qts peaches

Day before yesterday: 5-1/2pints & 2 10oz jelly jars of mushrooms & 1 pint of SFM's recipe of marinated mushrooms-plus dehydrated 2 trays.

Yesterday-13 pints of corn-5 of which I tried Bee's suggestion of a green tomato slice in each jar. The first canner load + 1 jar of next load I forgot, then had to make an emergency run to the garden.
This is my first attempt at doing corn so I'm hoping all is well :fl they all do look so pretty in the jars.

All this isn't enough to feed us for the whole winter or longer if need be, but atleast I'm starting to make a dent.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Chicken 16 pints. Potatoes 21 quarts and 16 half pints of habanero peach jam.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
10 pints, 3 x1/2 pints thick apple sauce from Bee's trees. :lol:

The apple butter is still in the crockpot cooking down, I'll have to can that later.