WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
The apple pie filling looks fantastic. Does a quart jar fit a single pie shell pretty accurately? Regular or deep dish? Thanks.
Regular size pie dish, not sky high, but it will certainly do the trick in the middle of winter ;)
I use them more for crisps than pies so they work out perfect for our family.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Presto 23 is my friend

I bought the canner a while ago, thinking I would have it on hand if/when I got-up the courage to give pressure canning a try. Yesterday I pulled it out of the box and we had a stare-down. I blinked first. I went to bed feeling defeated, but woke up this morning with a new resolve. I have all these potatoes from the garden and no place to keep them.

So today I plowed head-first into canning potatoes. I had the Ball Blue Book, another canning book, the instruction manual for the canner, and some instructions I had printed from the internet spread out on the counter. Even with all that authoritative information, there were a few things I had to learn on my own:

1. The canner has a front and a back. The lid only fits in one position, so if I have the canner backwards on the stove, when I put the cover on, the gauge will face backwards. Also along that line, a hot canner full of jars and water is heavy and awkward to pick up and turn, while trying not to scratch the glass-top stove.

2. You can turn the burner to a very low setting and still maintain 11# of pressure. I assumed I would have to have it on high the whole 40 minutes.

3. An apple corer/slicer/peeler contraption is great for peeling a lot of potatoes in a short time.

I canned 13 jars of potatoes (the 14th jar broke in the canner).

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Canned 4 pints,2 half pints, and 1 quarter pint of Plum Jelly from the Ball Blue book recipe, added 1 Tbls of Cinnamon like suggested, Had to taste it and IT WAS WONDERFUL!!!! Also canned 1 pint, 2 half pints and 1 quarter pint of Ripe red Jalapeo Jelly, this was the first time I used all ripe peppers and it turned out the prettiest red you ever seen and taste delicious!!! Have to go to the fair today and enter jellies, canned peppers and tomatoes, and some photos my wife and I both took, enter chickens, pigeons and rabbits tomorrow! Have a great day all, Lynn :cool:

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Applesauce. I re-used some of the Tattler lids and seals. They all sealed well for the 2nd time.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today...7 pints green beans, 6 pints pears, 5 pints fruit cocktail (pears, peaches, cherries & grapes)

This week.....7 qts chicken broth, 26 qts dill pickles, 13 qts + 1 pint sweet pickles, 3 pts sweet relish, 13 pints corn, 5 1/2 pints +2 10oz jelly jars mushrooms & 1 pint martinated mushrooms

This year (so far).......3 1/2 pints cranberry sauce, 2 odd jars relish, 2 qts raspberry jam, 20 qts strawberry jam, 5 odd jars sweet pickle chips, 4 odd jars dill chips, 10 qts peaches

I want/have yet to do.....tomato sauce, ketchup, bbq sauce, speghetti, chili, salsa, kraut, pickled peppers, pickled veggies, squash chunks & possibly mixed veggies.

Then of course, I have to find room to store all this stuff..... :th

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am not canning today....I am NOT canning today....I AM NOT CANNING TODAY!!! And you can't make me!!! :lol:

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Made me laugh, old fashioned!!
I canned 8 more quarts of tomatoes, this time it was a mix of Romas and others. My small pear harvest was turning, so I cut out the bad spots (or ate them), cut up the rest, and canned two 1/2 pints of them, too.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had this week off from paying job & decided to work at home by canning all week. I took today off!!!.....well, to do other things instead. :lol:
As mentioned earlier, I still have more canning to do for this year but maybe I'll do it next week or whenever my tomatoes decide to ripen up & they better do it soon before frost kills em. :rant