WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
13 pt chickpeas and 9 pt venison. Last time I didn't pre-soak the beans and it was a complete disaster. This time looks better. And it's the first time I've canned venison---thought I'd be more likely to use it if it's on the shelf instead of having to dig it out of the freezer and wait for it to defrost.

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
baymule said:
moolie said:
Got a great deal on 50 lbs of organic Roma tomatoes at the end of the day at the Farmer's Market today, so guess what I'm doing tomorrow...
Ummmm.......let me guess what you are doing tomorrow........tap dancing lessons?? :lol: Great score on the tomatoes-WOW! :weee
Lol, yes--tap dancing, that's it! ;)

BarredBuff said:
:woot indeed, I was very happy! We stopped off at the end of the day to see if there were any deals and hubs bought 25 lbs of simply gorgeous Romas (still on the vine!) while I was chatting with another vendor. When I got out to the car and saw the crate I asked him about the price, and then told him to go right back and see if they had any more--he came back with a second 25 lb crate!

http://www.rgdyck.com/moolie/50lbs-tomatoes.jpg
It really pays to get to know the vendors at your local market, we've been buying from this vendor for 5 or 6 years now and he just gave us the tomatoes in his plastic crates, trusting us to bring them back next week :)

Here's the 8 pints plus 2 half pints of salsa I made today in addition to 11 half-pints of raspberry jam (story in my journal):

8 pints with glass lids plus 2 half-pints salsa :)
http://www.rgdyck.com/moolie/50lbs-tomatoes-salsa.jpg

11 half-pints of raspberry jam (first time ever using Pomona's Pectin, seems to have worked great!)
http://www.rgdyck.com/moolie/50lbs-tomatoes-raspberryjam.jpg

I still have most of the tomatoes left to make into tomato sauce, chili sauce (hoping that a recipe I found recently will taste like what my Grandma used to make, I was too young when she passed away to have thought of asking for her recipe), and probably some more salsa.
Doesnt Pamona's pectin work AWESOME!!! I only had to add 2 cups of sugar i believe to a whole stock-pot of jam. And they jelled perfectly!!! I love that stuff.......

Great score on the tomatoes too!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rd200 said:
Doesnt Pamona's pectin work AWESOME!!! I only had to add 2 cups of sugar i believe to a whole stock-pot of jam. And they jelled perfectly!!! I love that stuff.......

Great score on the tomatoes too!
Yup, cup and a half of local honey, 4 teaspoons of Pomona's plus 4 teaspoons of the calcium water, and a whole pot of raspberries. And I still have pectin and calcium water left for more jams :)

Got most of the tomatoes processed into sauce yesterday, 15 quarts. Still have about 60 tomatoes left, half will become more salsa (different recipe to the first one) and half will become chili sauce. Then I'm going to hit the farmer's market at end of day again this coming weekend...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have a half bushel of tomatoes I need to get done tonight. Anyone wanna come help? :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Converted half bushel of tomatoes into 11 Quarts of Spaghetti sauce today! :woot

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have that canner, too - what do you mean, it's too big for your burner? On a standard sized gas range, it DOES stick out all around the burner, but it still works just fine. Is that what you mean, that it's so much larger than the burner? If so, don't worry, it works.

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
KnittyGritty said:
I have that canner, too - what do you mean, it's too big for your burner? On a standard sized gas range, it DOES stick out all around the burner, but it still works just fine. Is that what you mean, that it's so much larger than the burner? If so, don't worry, it works.
Yah thats what i mean. Basically if i have it half full with water, its also a bit to heavy for the burner so i am thinking i can get those things to allow me to can safer..

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Burner covers are only meant to make your stove look pretty when you aren't cooking--don't cook on them!

Do you have a gas or electric stove? If you have a standard 30" wide stove, and it's either gas or electric, you'll be just fine using your largest burner for your canner.

If you have a narrower apartment-sized stove, you should still have a large burner that will work, but I'm not positive on that since it's been a while since I lived in an apartment. But I did can on that size stove, just not with a pressure canner, so I'm pretty sure even that will work.

(Oh, and you don't fill it even half full with water, you only put in about 2-3 inches--check your canner manual :))

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Canned 4 Quarts, and 6 pints of Blackberries, 2 Quarts and 3 pints of Tomatoes. :woot