WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
HAHA. thanks man... would have definetly had a mess up. im going to take a picture so you all can see what i mean....

hotwing71

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Greenbeans,tomatoes,pickled okra,and green tomatoe chow-chow. Garden did great this year already filled up freezer,so started canning

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
30 pounds of tomatoes
= 22 pints salsa
7 pints ketchup...
and a steamy hot kitchen...

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It was too hot to contemplate canning today, so tomorrow I'm doing the salsa and chili sauce with my remaining tomatoes. Hopefully it's a bit cooler out tomorrow!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No canning today and I actually feel a little guilty about it, I was hoping that someone here can share a recipe for canned baked beans or pork and beans. Any other suggestions on how to not get mushy canned beans will be much appreciated.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
No canning today and I actually feel a little guilty about it, I was hoping that someone here can share a recipe for canned baked beans or pork and beans. Any other suggestions on how to not get mushy canned beans will be much appreciated.
The secret to non-mushy canned beans is to soak them, rinse them, bring them just to a boil in new water, then pop them into the jars either with boiling water or your baked bean sauce and process them. Nice al dente beans :)

Here's a couple of posts from my journal that explain how I do it, the recipe actually gets tweaked here and there depending on what I have on hand, so just do what you want with it and taste the sauce to make sure it's how you like it before you can it up!

moolie said:
All the recent talk about canning baked beans had me take a look at my pantry to find that I only have
one jar left, so I set some navy beans to soak yesterday to can up today:
baked-beans-002.jpg

I heated the beans into a large pot with the sauce ingredients (water, onions, brown sugar, molasses,
salt, tomato sauce).

Then I fried up some bacon and divided it among the jars while the beans and sauce were heating:
baked-beans-001.jpg

baked-beans-003.jpg

Then I used a slotted spoon to fill the jars 2/3 full with just the beans:
baked-beans-004.jpg

And poured the sauce in, leaving 1" headspace:
baked-beans-005.jpg

I quickly put on the lids and rings and got them into the pressure canner:
baked-beans-006.jpg

baked-beans-007.jpg

And just took them out about half an hour ago, once the pressure had subsided and
the canner had cooled down:
baked-beans-008.jpg
moolie said:
Oh, should post the recipe for the beans--it's a hybrid of two recipes from an old 1960s Better Homes and Gardens Canning cookbook:

1/4 lb cooked bacon, crumbled
2 onions, chopped and sauted in the bacon fat
4 cups dry navy beans, soaked overnight
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons dry mustard
salt

Cook bacon, remove from pan, crumble and set aside.

Saut onions in bacon fat.

Drain soaked beans and put into large pot, cover with new filtered water and add all sauce ingredients except bacon.

Heat through, skim foam if necessary.

Divide bacon evenly among 8 pint jars, then use slotted spoon to add beans to jars till 2/3 full.

Pour in sauce, leaving 1" headspace.

Process pints 75 minutes.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Very nice moolie, beautiful work. I can't wait to try them. I have the beans and good quality bacon from a home raised pig. Your step by step is very helpful. I will have them done this weekend. The recipe is just what I was lookin for. Thanks a million!

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Looks great Moolie. I save my bean canning for fall or winter. Today was all about blackberries. Freezer and cooked jam. Pie filling and 3 pints covered in vodka (hubby won the vodka somewhere) for the holidays.
:drool

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks Mollie........ How much pounds of pressure? and I am just assuming you process for 45 minutes is this right?