WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got 9 5-gal buckets of apples over the weekend. So I'll be putting up applesauce for the next week!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now I'm jealous. I need apples. We love applesauce and butter. The few I got off my trees fit in a two gallon bucket with room to spare.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just asked people with loaded apple trees. I offered to pay but no one took me up on it. I usually pick up the windfalls, as a token of appreciation.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Been canning up the last of our tomatoes that are ripening indoors--12 half-pints of chili sauce and 4 pints of salsa this week :)

Wish we had apples this year, only got a few off our two-year old trees, but I have high hopes for next year!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
16 qt of apple sauce from my parents' tree. This year, I'm keeping track of which tree we like best. DD wanted to help, so I let her crank the mill, stir, etc. It was another late night of canning. Eventually I had to send her to bed, before we got to the canning part.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
10 quarts of Turkey Veg Soup with broth I made from our (Canadian) Thanksgiving turkey.

Can't wait to crack those open over the winter months :)

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Applesauce, lots of applesauce and the house smells wonderful.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
Applesauce, lots of applesauce and the house smells wonderful.
I didn't have the money to buy the organic sprays for my peaches or apples this year but we gleaned a few good fruits.. I canned a few peaches this year finally( was surprised how nice the peaches were even without spraying.. only succumbed to powdery mildew.. gonna spray next year for sure as I got my organic sulfur already.)
The apple sauce has been working here too.. and I saw that my applesauce swelled in the jar too.. I know that I left a good amount of space at the top but still it swelled a bit so that it is more like 1/2 inch from the top now.
and I made and canned about 9, 8oz jars of apple pie jam. but instead of using water to top off the apple chunks I used apple sauce that I was making and well it gelled very well and the flavor is fantastic.. tastes like a super sweet version of apple pie filling.. I think I will use the low sugar version pectin next time as it could stand to be a bit less sweet for us.
I think I just used a recipe off the internet. (I think I bookmarked it). gonna give some away before holidays and if it has good reviews then I will make more for gift giving.
Side note here. I thought my family didn't like my home made gifts and last year we didn't make much due to some ongoing health issues and all I have heard this year is that they want the home made stuff back. sure they thought they only wanted "store bought stuff" but figured out that they really did like the home made stuff.. like my soaps and jams and other things like bottles of home made chili powder.
I bought a huge hunk of glycerin soap(melting and pour stuff) and gonna get the niece and grand daughter to help me melt and pour some fancy small soaps with essential oils for smell.. :).. nice to see that my hard work about making thing from scratch is kinda paying off.. This year.. I have small fancy bottles(like about one cups worth) for my home made vanilla extract. plus gonna give them several vanilla pods too..
So that went off topic again with me.. :lol: