What are you DEHYDRATING today?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I dried pureed mashed potatoes. Hubby and son leave for backpacking in 5 days. I'll test reconstituting these and see how it goes :)

Then, I pureed old applesauce and old frozen black raspberries with lemon juice and honey, then made them into fruit leathers.

I have literally about 150 dozen corn to do something with. Does anybody have great dehydrating ideas for corn? I would be SO grateful!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I had lemon zest, orange rind and tomatoes dehydrating. I tool all of them and put them in bagies and froze them tonight in order to keep any potential bugs from growing.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I can't even imagine shucking that much corn, let alone prepping it and dehydrating it. Wow, that's a daunting task.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I dried pureed mashed potatoes. Hubby and son leave for backpacking in 5 days. I'll test reconstituting these and see how it goes :)

Then, I pureed old applesauce and old frozen black raspberries with lemon juice and honey, then made them into fruit leathers.

I have literally about 150 dozen corn to do something with. Does anybody have great dehydrating ideas for corn? I would be SO grateful!
I don't grow corn - gardens not big enough - but sometimes I buy extra at the farmstand just to dry. The first time I did this I followed a recipe that called for cutting the corn off the cob (about 16 cups worth), and mixing it with1 1/2 Tbls salt (I'm sure I probably used a lot less), ! tbls. sugar, and 1/2 cup heavy cream; simmer, stirring, for about 20 minutes until cream is mostly absorbed. Spread corn onto cookie sheets and dry in a low oven, or a dehydrator. This turned out to be absolutely delicious - I used some in a lovely chicken and corn soup. But DH and I, though we like corn, don't eat a lot of it, and over time the cream went off, and the corn smelled bad. Since then I dry a lot less at any one time, and I just blanch the corn for a few minutes in boiling water, cut it from the cob, and dehydrate. I believe that the Pennsylvania Dutch call this Shaker corn.

Here's a little blurb about it: http://www.zingermansroadhouse.com/2008/02/26/pennsylvania-dutch-dried-corn/

And here is one recipe: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art2822.asp

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Sorry. I guess I should be more clear. My intention is to sell 99.9% of it! In case I cannot get rid of it or get the food pantry to come out and take an enormous load, I will want to find other ways to enjoy it. My husband and son are out picking it now to cook, then cut off the cob and dehydrate. Our cousins enjoy it this way :) Thanks, ORchick--I will follow the link's directions for this.

After the corn is done, I'm on to peach leathers, as all 3.5 bushels of peaches appear to be ripening at once. Yikes!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I dehydrated some mushrooms I had left over from a dish this week. I tend to buy more than I need. But it is so easy to dry them, and then when I want some mushrooms I'll have them ready. I like using dried mushrooms.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am dehydrating 3 sheet pans of Cherokee Black beans in our old pick up truck. It normally is only used for plowing in the winter, but now I have found a new use for it as a dehydrator. I place the trays on the dash and seats and point the truck towards the sun and wait. It is free energy.

I also am using my "plug in dehydrator" to dry squash slices. We will add them to soups and sauce this winter.