What are you DEHYDRATING today?

angelib1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Apircots, cucumbers, swiss chard for us humans and broccoli leaves, comfrey and all the former items too for the chickens and ducks.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I thought about using the trampoline
I dried herbs on the trampoline last year :D It works GREAT!

Now that it is down and a hot tub is in that spot, I plan on spreading things out on the hot tub cover. I will have to turn it more since I wont have that wonderful bottom circulation, but living in Colorado, excess moisture usually isn't a problem :p

And please give more details on the dried cucumber. I love cucumbers.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh! I just thought of a possible use for the dried cucumbers. Could you whirl em in a food processor (or coffee grinder) to powder and add em to salad dressings. Sounds good to me anyways :lol:

Thanks WZ and BBH, yeah the car would prob work for herbs & such. I bet a thin sheet on the trampoline, over the food would help with the bugs anyways. I got a teeny-tiny car.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Yeah...not going to get much dried in my VW golf! LOL

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm drying catnip, sage, burdock, and sage flowers right now, just on a towel on the floor in front of the patio window.

One thing I'm planning on doing later today is to pick some wild black raspberries, lemon balm leaves, peppermint leaves, and maybe some Stevia. Dry it all.. probably gonna dry the berries in the dehydrater. Crush the dried berries with a pestle and mortar, break up the other leaves, and put it all in a teabag, and try some tea!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
That sounds like a great plan. I have a stevia plant. It isn't that big so I am going to try and keep it alive over winter and harvest next year.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Potatoes!!! I have 140# of them to get dehydrated up! Then I have 55# of onions to do!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have sage in the dehydrator now, the kind for sausage. The bugs have been eating it....darn bugs!

When I use the car, I put it on the back seat. That way I can get a lot in. I haven't tried veggies, just leaves. If the sun ever comes back out, I am going to try some veggies just to see if it works. It works best if you open a couple of windows just a little bit, to let the moisture out. Also, open the vent that allows outside air to come into the front of the car....you know, the button that shows a picture of recirculating air vs air flowing into the car from the front. This will allow for some movement of the air. As the heat rises, it will leave via the windows and draw air into the front as a result, and help get the moisture out of the space, too.

I plan to park the car in the sun and put a thermometer in with the trays and see how hot it REALLY gets in there!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I dehydrated peaches, wild plums, bananas and assorted herbs. I also use lemon juice to prevent discoloring. Sometimes I add a bit of honey to the juice.
I used to dry rose petals between two screen doors on saw horses with bricks layed on top, so the wind wouldn't blow things away.
Now I have 3 dehydrators. I also dry stuff in my car and the storage tent (one of those carports, totally enclosed in tarps)
I was going to dry strawberries, but when I went to get them out of the fridge, they were nearly gone :rolleyes: I guess they were yummy. :lol:
I always tell my family, eat it fresh while you can, until you're sick of it even. Because once it's gone, that's it until next season.