What are you DEHYDRATING today?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Most of the blueberries are dry. They came out pretty good! Next I'm putting in some chunks of butternut squash.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tomato paste - though not my own, unfortunately (My very first tomato is getting red, but is still a ways from ripe). My brother is a hiker/backpacker, and goes off for days at a time into the mountains. He mentioned today that he was surprised that tomato flakes were not more widely available, like potato flakes, and that he has to go to sources that specialize in lightweight foods for backpackers to find them (I gather that he re-hydrates them for a form of tomato sauce while on the trail). So I thought I'd give it a go, and see how it passes the "hiker test". I'll see what he says when I see him again tomorrow. No doubt I can find a use for it if he cannot.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just put all the pineapple sage into a peanut butter jar, packed in very tightly. Monday....dill!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
They carry tomato flakes at a local health food store. In bulk.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I just chopped up half a banana squash for drying. Of course, it is raining...LOL.

Looks like they are going in the oven after the chicken is done.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
They carry tomato flakes at a local health food store. In bulk.
Really? I've never noticed them here, though I admit to never having really looked. I'll suggest that to my brother, though the tomato paste experiment appears to have worked well. What I have now is basically "tomato leather".

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Tomato leather sounds handy. All you need to do it tear off a chunk to add to your cooking.

Did you know the native americans used to eat squash raw?

"Banana Squash Tips & Trivia

* The Massachusett Indian word for "eaten raw" is "Askutasquash." An important Indian food, few white men shared the desire to eat squash raw, until the past few years when raw summer squash types began to appear in salads.

* Squash was unknown in Europe until early explorers returned from America with squash seeds."

So I guess I can stop freaking out that my son has been snacking on the pieces I left out to dry... LOL