What are you DEHYDRATING today?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
That sounds like a great plant. I have a stevia plant. It isn't that big so I am going to try and keep it alive over winter and harvest next year.
Same with mine.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I have sage in the dehydrator now, the kind for sausage. The bugs have been eating it....darn bugs!

When I use the car, I put it on the back seat. That way I can get a lot in. I haven't tried veggies, just leaves. If the sun ever comes back out, I am going to try some veggies just to see if it works. It works best if you open a couple of windows just a little bit, to let the moisture out. Also, open the vent that allows outside air to come into the front of the car....you know, the button that shows a picture of recirculating air vs air flowing into the car from the front. This will allow for some movement of the air. As the heat rises, it will leave via the windows and draw air into the front as a result, and help get the moisture out of the space, too.

I plan to park the car in the sun and put a thermometer in with the trays and see how hot it REALLY gets in there!
Interesting idea! We have an old Volvo station wagon with a sunroof, the kind that either opens wide or pops up. I'll have to try doing some herbs in there. I hope my nosey neighbor watches. Who knows what she'll think I'm putting in there! ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, the sage is in a jar (boy, that stuff shrinks!!) and the dehydrator is filled to overflowing with pineapple sage for tea.

Can anyone tell me the perfect time to dry my dill? I have everything from green seeds to yellow flower buds. I made my pickles with green seeds and the yellow flowers, as suggested by an elderly Italian client who I trust implicitly with food and recipe advice! I don't see her very often, so.....help?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Interesting idea! We have an old Volvo station wagon with a sunroof, the kind that either opens wide or pops up. I'll have to try doing some herbs in there. I hope my nosey neighbor watches. Who knows what she'll think I'm putting in there!
:yuckyuck
I feel the same about a certain neighbor :rolleyes: :lol:

Free, I pick my dill to dry, preferably before the flowers open up.
Sometimes I do like the flowers also, I pick them seperately. If your season allows, leave your dill to make seeds and gather them. They are good in so many recipes, and it is nice to actually be able to put 1/2 or 1 cup of dillseed into a pickle or whatever.
I have a 1/2 gal jar full of dill seed and I love it. Of course it is also great for planting.

My stepson opens the jar of dried dill and takes a deep sniff. H:lol:e loves the smell of the dill.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
So are you talking about drying the flowers, the feathery leaves, or what? The flower buds? I am clueless about dill, I thought it was the mature seeds that were used for pickles. I am not a big pickle eater, and never made them until my recent jar of fermented dill pickles. I really only eat them on sandwiches, and I haven't been eating sandwiches much lately, but I still want to make some!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Yes, pick the feathery leaves and the flower tops. I usually cut the whole thing down and hang it up by the stalk and then remove the leaves and flowers later. Dried is not as good as fresh, but sure beats storebought. I stick the dried leaves and flowers loosely into jars, so as not to break them up too much. Hopefully leaving the essence intact as much as possible. I break it down when I use it.
I usually loosely fill about one pickle jar, which is enough for us, because we have it fresh most of the year. But it is good on fish, on cucumbers and other salads, so I do like having it around.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Anyone here ever dried squash? I know it keep a long time as is, but I was wondering if drying would be effective for long term storage. And how would you use them once they were dry?

Found this...
"Banana Squash
Wash and peel squash then slice into strips about 1/4
inch thick. Blanch either with steam for 4 minutes or with
water for 3 minutes. Dry in a dehydrator for 4 to 6 hours
or 6 to 10 hours in an oven.

Hubbard Squash
Cut or break into pieces and remove seeds and stringy
pulp. Cut into 1 inch wide strips, peel off the rind and
cut strips crosswise into pieces about 1/4 inch thick.
Blanch with steam for 8 to 10 minutes. Drying times are 5
to 7 hours in a dehydrator or 6 to 10 hours in an oven.

Summer Squash
Wash, trim and cut squash 1/4 inch slices. Blanch
Blanch in steam for 4 minutes or in water for 3 minutes.
Drying times are 4 to 6 hours in a dehydrator or 6 to 10
hours in an oven."

angelib1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'll try and hit two birds with one stone.
cucumbers:
cucumber dip
soup
that salad dressing idea was good(why did'nt I think of that)
if dipped in lemon/lime juice and sprinkled w/seasonings makes a snack chip
I also feed to chickens in winter

Squash:
soup
cassaroles
In chicken and rice
also to chickens in winter

I am sure that there are many other good ways to use them too.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
More research on drying squash...

http://www.extension.umn.edu/extensionnews/2007/preservewintersquash.html

Squash leather recipe
http://ceplacer.ucdavis.edu/files/106.htm

A bloggger's experience preserving pumpkin with a link to a CSU extension PDF
http://chilechews.blogspot.com/2009/04/pumpkin-rescue.html

Article on vegetable storage
http://www.vegetableexpert.co.uk/how-dry-store-vegetables-grown.html

Some good recipes here....
http://www.sallybernstein.com/food/columns/ferray_fiszer/squash.htm

OK, I think I have done enough geeking. I almost feel brave enough to hack in to this huge banana squash I got for $2 at the farmer's market.

Latest posts